Noob looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Default Noob looking for some advice

Everybody,
Came across your forum and have found alot of great information. Long time motorhead, looking to get a 1st Gen Camaro droptop. Been a 1st Gen Dreamer since I wasayoung one. I have been building jeeps over the last 10-12 years of varying degrees from the 44 ****** MB to CJs modern TJs tofull on rockcrawlers. I am pretty well rounded motorhead but know nothing about 1st Gen Camaros. I have performed gear work, locker installation, engine swaps 4 to 6 and 6 to V8,blending and making wiring harnesses,tub swaps, welding patch panels and body prep. I don't shoot color a mans gotta know his limitations.

Being in Jeeps as long as I have I know what to buy and what to pass on. Where they rot, when they are too far gone or a parts vehicle. I wondered if I could get some educated opinions on what to look for. I might be hesitant to cut and weld on exterior panels on a vehicle that is worth alot more than my Jeeps.

Is there any variance on years?
Where is the most common irrepreble rust/fatigue?

I have looked at a few and every one is a little different, I live in N GA so nothing is too rotted out from my novice opinion. I haven't found too many local so I plan to attend the Carolina Autofair this week and look there. Really looking for a decent driver that I can enjoy as I take it on one piece at a time like I did with my Jeeps.

If anyone has any lines in or around N GA, or even something I might have to fly in and take a peek at thats not too big a deal. I travel for business and have miles I can use.

Folks, I really appreciate this. I looked for a FAQ but didn't really find anything in my searches. But I truly appreciate any help or guidance on what to look for. If anyone goes from Camaros to Jeeps I can help you out there for sure.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 03-31-2008, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Noob looking for some advice

Dave, Welcome to the forum! I too am a long time Jeeper (well, at leat 9 years or so) and have swaped a Gen III 5.3L vortec in my YJ...Which is a LOT of fun...

Anyway, I live near Savannah, GA and am working on a 68 that I got off eBay. I have been taking a lot of pics as I go and posting them here on the forum. There are a couple of people on here that really know their stuff. So you came to the right place.

As far as finding a project car, the more youpay the less you should need to do...Now I say should because these cars are getting older and older and it is hard to find a car that is not too far gone...if there is a limit that is...

I had to go all the way to Alabama to get into the car that I wanted for the price that I wanted. However, it was worth the trip for me. Since you are in Norther Ga, it shouldn't be that hard to find one. When I was looking there were tons of them for sale on eBay. I was at the Goodmark distribution center there in Lawrenceville and I heard a guy say he traded a GM '69 Fender for a whole '69... So if that is going on up there then you can get one, you just gotta look in the right place if ya dig... You are lucky to be in that area because Year One, Goodmark and others are right there to get your body panels and etc... You probably won't even have to pay shipping!

So check out the threads at the top on the 1st gen forum. There are LOTS of Pics and tons of info. be sure to check out orockers thread. She has a GREAT body guy that has been really cool about taking pictures and answering questions...

So, if you decide to stick around, we are glad to have you! When you get a ride, be sure to start a thread so we can see what you are gonna do!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome. 1st gen Camaro'scontinue to gain popularity. Rust as always is the biggest issue. Floor pans are the 1st thing I look at. The trunk pan is the easiest place to start and if I see surface rust only, thats a good sign of how the rest of the pans are looking. Firewall is next. Theres a seam that runs parallel from side and starts between the top of the cowl and the heater box continuing about distributor cap height, then behind the wiper motor and on past behind the master brake cylinder. This seam is sealed at the factory and is notorious for developing rust. If I see too much rust (blistering and obvious holes) then I know what the rest of the firewall looks like behind the dash panel. Next I check beneath the carpet below the heater box. If there was a leak at the heater core at one point,there will be extensive rust. Heater core leaks seem to be ignored by car owners. Next is the rocker panels. Check beneath the carpet to see if any rust is present. If these areas are clean enough, then its a good sign that the rest of the sheet metal is in decent shape. If not, then get ready to replace as needed.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Everything that Frostlime69 said is true. At least with my project. There are somethings that are going to be hidden until you get the car apart and start investigating. So even though you may buy a solid looking car, keep in the back of your mind that it may be a LOT worse that it first seems...

Old 04-01-2008, 03:23 PM

Guys,
Thanks for the input, I appreciate that. I hear you on the more you spend the less you should have to do (in theory), however that never seems to work for me all the time . Floors and trunk pans don't intimidate me too bad, did those on some of my past jeeps. There is a little more fudge factor vs doing quarters or exterior panels. I might not be the worlds best welder, but maybe the best with an angle grinder and seam sealer.

I appreciate the tips on the cowl and floorpans. Since those are pretty easy to conseal. Are there any places where stress cracks/damage can occur? Between the unibody and k-member. Something that has been a hot-rod for 40+ years there has to be some places that take the torque. I swear by POR-15 if its just surface or minor pitting on sheet metal.

FlightMechYJ68, Jeeps were fun but as my family grows I need something fun and with 4 real seats. I guess my proudest build was a 5.9 motor from a ZJ into a TJ behind an NV3550. This was done with about 25 splicesto meld the two harnesses.It was still OBDII compliant and all factory gauges worked.That took alot of bookwork to blend. That passed emissions andwas alot of fun. That was more of a 1/4 mile car than a off road machine. That 5.3 is probably a good combo motor for power and off road use.

Thru my jeeping days I have some connections at YearOne. I got most of my paint/prep supplies for the Jeeps from them. Just so happens that they carry everything for a 1st gen. And I can drive there in about 45 minutes.

I have some other leads on other Camaros, just need to feel em out. How taboo is performing a swap from an L6 to V8? Found a couple decent bodied L6's but its just not right without a V8 under there.

I appreciate any other guidance you guys might have, I have no problem driving/transporting from other places in the US. Wish me luck at the Charlotte Autofair. Maybe I'll find something.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

X2 on everything everyone mentioned, and welcome to the world of 1st Gen. Best of luck on your search and let us see what you get when it rolls in.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:55 PM

Well guys, the Carolina Autofair was a bust in the search. Lots of georgeous camaros, but it was either a 70K Pace Car, 50k Z28 or 25k marginal rotted outdriver. The prices were considerably higher than I thought there would be based on ones I have seen for sale locally and in my travels. The 12-15k decent driver I have seen local was $25-30 up there.

There was only 2 convertibles I recall seeing, a non-running 68 SS clone for $30k...... Not sure what was up there.... and that authentic pace car. Weather was horrible with torrential downpours.

The search continues.... Anyone get any leads on a good driver droptop please let me know, will travel. Would consider a non-runner with rust free body.

Thanks again for the help,
Dave

Old 04-04-2008, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

www.eBay.com search the year camaro that you want then sort highest price first... Usually about the 1k-5k price range is where you will find the project cars...

Old 04-04-2008, 09:13 PM

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on there and see what comes up. I don't really want a basketcase, I did a Scrambler that way and boy was there alot of missing stuff the P/O misplaced or used on another Jeep,that nickeled and dimed me to death on that project. Are there any camaro specific forums with a for sale section you guys know of?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Got any classic car dealers around? We have a few here in Orlando and I will see 1st gens from time to time. But most of those are in great condition and go for 30k. Try looking in the paper for them. I also see them every once in a while at local car rallies. Do you have any swap meets? There is one that we go to that is about a 2 hours drive away and have seen 1st gens for sale there. Mine we kind of just found out of the blue and I did not know what I was looking at and where to really look for rust. The places I was told to look at were in good shape so we bought it. I paid too much for 2 other PO but I am glad we bought it. I have learned so much from the beginning.

Quick Reply: Noob looking for some advice