New Guy = Stupid Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Default New Guy = Stupid Question

If I were looking to buy a 1st gen or early 2nd gen ('70, '71) Camaro, what could I be looking at in price? I haven't been pricing them out in the past 15 years. Not necassarily a toal original car, but not a project....

Old 11-14-2010, 12:35 AM

I don't know too much on the subject, but it all depends on what shape you are looking at. Running driving? Are you stuck on an auto or manual? small block big block? Specific year? Many of the first gens will run more than a second gen for the same condition ect as far as I have seen. I'm not going to throw out a ball park because I feel that would be inappropriate because many people have different asking prices. Some people feel their car is worth its weight in gold and are asking an absolute arm and leg for it, while others realize that in order to sell your car, that you have to have it listed cheaper than the other guy with the same car. That being said, you should probably just do basic research on what you are interested in. A second gen, depending on the year, will likely be a BIT cheaper than a first gen. 70-73 will probably be a bit more expensive then a newer 2nd gen, but then again this is a personal trend that I have seen while I was looking for my 74. I got my 1974 z/28 type lt for a very good price, I just took my time and waited for the right deal to come my way. Of course, if you get a roller with no engine or tranny, it will be cheaper, if the car has rust or imperfections, it will be cheaper ect ect ect. The number of variables could be tremendous and the only real way to find out is if you do some hard research. I hope this helps out a bit, just check some sites like the craigslist in your area or auto trader or ebay and if you've got the patience then eventually you'll find what you are looking for. (P.S. if you're paying with CASH, the seller will be more likely to drop the price for you.)

Old 11-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A little research is all you need to do. For the first gens, on ebay they're selling for what you see them sell at. On craigslist, asking price minus negotiation room which varies depending on how desperate the seller is. Same goes for the local papers.
For 2nd gens, same as above.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:22 PM

I'm a newbie here as well! I just picked up a 69RS/SS and I feel I got a great deal so do my friends. I just washed,clayed,fine cut,swirl removed,polished and waxed it so it looks way better than when I picked up off Craigslist. Car drives good but feels like a 40 yr old boat so I'm going to redo front end w/ poly bushings everywhere and get a full lowering suspension kit from Hotchkis TVS or Detroit Speed. Got lots of looks today for my first drive around town!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:20 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

yeah when i got my 68 it was a complete and total project but it was a great deal because the car was completley rust free and still has the numbers matchimg motor tranny and rear end. the timing in the market was also good it was before that muscle car boom that shot prices of any first gen throught the roof.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:03 PM

make sure you use GREASEABLE poly bushings or the squeaking will drive you nutts!!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:21 PM

I thought GreaseMonkey was asking for a round about $$$amount for a Camaro.None of you know what yours are worth????

Old 01-09-2011, 12:19 AM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

paid 9400 for mine
68 with original 327 4 speed and 308 posi one dime sized rust spot on front drivers fender and a few nicks and dings but overall pretty cherry.
you just have to look at alot of crap before you find a good one.
i looked at about 30 or so!!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by brisbelair
I thought GreaseMonkey was asking for a round about $$$amount for a Camaro.None of you know what yours are worth????
Yup - that's what I'm looking for

Old 01-09-2011, 09:31 AM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

for a clean descent 67-69 non ss,z/28 but a plane janer depending on options auto/man. posi or non posi, color etc i would say 8-14 grand

Quick Reply: New Guy = Stupid Question