New to the forum, and an attitude question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 02:23 AM
Default New to the forum, and an attitude question

Hello,
I already posted in the new members area, but this part of the forum is where I'll be spending my time, so I thought I'd say hello. I'm a 1st Gen owner, a 68, and I want to pose a question to everyone.
Now I know my car is my car and I can do whatever I want to with it, but I want some opinions. My 68 coupe was originally a straight-6 car, but someone along the way wanted to try a make it something more. Most of the work they did was kinda half-assed, and it looks like they didnt know if they wanted it to be a Z, an SS, or a standard coupe. They did put a strong 350 and an M21 in it, and I think it has a Posi. Also put a Flowmaster system in, upgraded to a later, larger radiator, and did a decent job on the RS stripe paint job.
I want to clean the car up, and at some point repaint it. I dont want it to be a clone...I dont want to advertise it as a Z or and SS or RS if it's not one. Now dont take this to mean that I'm a total purist and easily offended if someone else decides to make a "clone", it's just not my taste for my car.
I want it to have a very "stock" appearance, as if it could have come from the factory the way it is. In my research I havent seen where a Camaro could come with "options" like the upgrades mine already has and the other changes I want to make and not be a special model like an SS, RS, or Z. I like the overall look of the SS's the most, but I'm very reluctant to put SS badges on the car, even though thats essentially what it will be when I'm done. I'm not worried about value, as I have no intention of ever parting with it, but I'm more concerned with attitudes toward the car. I dont want to start a forum war here, but I'd like to know:

Would you be more into a car that doesnt have a high pedigree (genuine SS, RS, Z, etc) but is put together well, or more into a well-done "clone"? Is this a stupid question?

Last edited by Danburnsart; 09-21-2012 at 02:25 AM. Reason: addition
Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Like you said, its all up to you. Of youre not worried about the "value" of the car, then make it your own. Do it how you like it the best. I think going with a plain jane stock look would be cool. However, I love those old SS and Z28s also.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the look of a non badged 1st gen is ok with me.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:00 AM
3rd Gear Member

Say no to clone.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 AM
2nd Gear member

Do what you want to the car. The car lost all of its originality years ago anyway by someone else. Sleeper, pro touring, clone, whatever you do it will be yours. I guarantee there will be worse out there.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

For the record Dan I don't really care. I have one stock and one not. Good luck with your projects.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:53 AM

Thank for the responses guys. Edward, I tend to agree with you...I'm not a fan of clones, but as another member said, it lost it's originality a long time ago, and while I could easily return it to a straight 6 car, I think its more special as a v8 mongrel than an I-6 purebred...the hard part for me is in badging it "correctly" while keeping a stock look. Thanks to all.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:26 AM
2nd Gear member

Hi Dan.

For the record, my car started out the same way, except mine is a 69. It was a 6 banger, P/G with little or not option. Right away I already knew what the plans were, big tires, big engine and I didn't care what others thought, because I'm not chopping up a Z-28, SS, RS, it's a base style car.

Do with it what "YOU" want and the important thing is, have fun doing it.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Hey, it's your car, do what you want with it. If you like the way it looks with the badges, go for it. If you like it unbadged, that's fine too. Just don't try to pass it off as an original SS or Z/28, that's frowned upon.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:03 PM

Thanks Bruce and Camaro 69. I actually prefer the little bowtie thats on the grill now, and I think in place of the Z28 badges that are on the front quarters, I'll put 67 crossed flags signifying a v8 and leave it at that. It'll have an SS style grill, RS stripes, and a few options from every performance package thrown in. Thanks to all for your opinions and openess...gettin excited about it now!

Quick Reply: New to the forum, and an attitude question