New to the forum!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Default New to the forum!

Good morning All! My name is Brett. I have a '68 Camaro RS convertible. It had been sitting since '83 in my grandfathers garage but I have recently started having it restored. I am new to this scene (Muscle cars) and I'm overwhelmed by all the different Chassis setups.

Im looking for Suspension and brakes setups currently. I will be lowering slightly for an aggresive look but want to keep a classic look aswell and want to do Front and Rear disc conversion. Thoughts?? Thanks a bunch!!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 AM

...Couple of pics

Old 07-19-2012, 11:00 AM

sweet lookin. can't wait to see updated pics

Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

welcome brett, looks like you have one hell of a car to start with. good luck.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 AM
2nd Gear member

What a fantastic start for a car!

Yes, do at least a front disc brake conversion but I don't think you need to convert the rear. Well worth it and when you do, go with the 2" drop spindles as it will help your car handle better. New springs front and rear can help you get the stance you want and breath new life into how the car handles and performs. While your at it, you should get a suspension kit that comes with all new body mounts, control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rods etc. It will make all the difference in the world when you go to drive it down the block and even when you go around that clover leaf while entering the freeway!

BTW, are you from Washington or Oregon? Or neither and my eyes are just bad lol!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

Welcome brett. Good gen to start with! Nice pics

Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

very nice looking project!

and stovebolts the plates on the car are not either oregon or washington plates that i am aware of. washington was usually white with green letters and oregons were blue with yellow letters

Old 07-25-2012, 07:15 AM

Thanks for all the Welcome. I am actually from NC and the plates are VA. haha. I appreciate the tips on the Suspension and brake setups, There are just so many makers of all the parts too. Any suggestions on Brand??

Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by camaroboy68ss
very nice looking project!

and stovebolts the plates on the car are not either oregon or washington plates that i am aware of. washington was usually white with green letters and oregons were blue with yellow letters
Ha, wow! I'm semi color blind and grew up in Wa. I remember the old green plates way back when but always liked the newer style better.

As far as converting to disc brakes, Stainless Steel Brake Company is the kit I used and it was pretty straight forward and comes with everything you'll need. There are some other companies out there too. Just check around and let your pocket book be your guide!

Old 10-11-2021, 10:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default What kind of engine are you going with?

Originally Posted by GOryanGoDrums
Good morning All! My name is Brett. I have a '68 Camaro RS convertible. It had been sitting since '83 in my grandfathers garage but I have recently started having it restored. I am new to this scene (Muscle cars) and I'm overwhelmed by all the different Chassis setups.

Im looking for Suspension and brakes setups currently. I will be lowering slightly for an aggresive look but want to keep a classic look aswell and want to do Front and Rear disc conversion. Thoughts?? Thanks a bunch!!
The GM high compression 302 V8 originally came with the R/S with a hot little cam. Is it salvageable? A numbers matching 68 R/S is worth $$$. Otherwise, slide an LS2 in it and ypu will be very very hsppy!!! What you are doing now makes total sense. Also, pull the gas tank and look inside. I would just replace it for safety. Stopping is GOOD!!!