Neutral safety switch on a 69 SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Default Neutral safety switch on a 69 SS

I know others have had this issue. ONE time the car did not start, so by sheer luck I must have touched something under the dash and then it did. Never thought much about it after that, (kinda dumb), but now NOTHING! everything comes, on but no crank. What do I check? I was about to push the damm thing off a cliff. Is there something I can replace , adj or what? the car has a tremec 5 sp and not the original motor. My race shop guys were under the dash as they installed rear discs. (even those are not right) Ugg. Thanks for any help. Dan

Old 10-14-2015, 10:48 AM
4th Gear Member

If Camaro was an original manual trans, readjust clutch safety switch,
Other things you can do:
If automatic equipped originally, check firewall side and see if there is a lever above the column, if so pull up on lever and maybe tie it up.
Or go inside and top of column by firewall, remove connector from neutral safety switch on top of column and jumper purple wires together.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:33 AM

Not sure if it originally had an auto trans. I think the neutral safety switch is toward the instr. panel on top of the column. Never noticed any levers below the master on the column eng. side. but I'll recheck. thx

Old 10-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The manual trans neutral safety switch is on the pedal assembly, pic below.
A manual shift steering column also has the lever on the firewall side, as mine does. All that does is prevents you from being able to turn the key if it's not all the way up. From the factory, there was additional shift linkage connected to that arm. I wired mine up, as it would tend to droop on it's own and lock out the key.

Name:  108_0848.jpg
Views: 6285
Size:  79.9 KB

Old 10-14-2015, 02:48 PM

I don't think I have that. Now what? If I do, the two terminal connector shown would both be the purple ones you are referring to? maybe my actual key ignition is bad? I'm at a loss

Old 10-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Something was goofy with the site and I couldn't get back in to add to my post to address what may be happening.
With no safety switch there, somebody must have connected the purple wires together. Find those and make sure they are still together.
Could also be the ignition switch (what's mounted on top of the steering column) may have loosened and slid down out of adjustment. The switch mounting holes are slotted for fine tuning purposes.
Or, the ignition switch could have gone bad.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:12 PM

Is that just above the large blade multi pin plug? On the very top of the column? there is a plug up there with a few wires coming out of it. Did not notice that moves though.. Or the actual key switch. That sounds like a pain........

Old 10-14-2015, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yes it is, and yes it is!
That switch shouldn't move. If you can move it, then that's likely the problem.
The key tumbler assembly has mechanical linkage with a steel rod that connects it to the ignition switch. There is no "switch" at the key. Make sure you can see or feel that rod sliding up and down the column as you turn the key.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:32 PM

Does that rod connect to the switch on top of the column? How am I supposed to access it if it is broken? The key seems ok to me

Old 10-14-2015, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yes it does. As long as the rod is sliding up and down with the turning of the key, that much of it isn't broken. First check if the switch is loose, I have a feeling it may be that. You wouldn't be the first guy that's happened to.

Quick Reply: Neutral safety switch on a 69 SS