Need some help an knowledge!! 67 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 04:19 PM
Default Need some help an knowledge!! 67 Camaro

Hello all,

New to the site.

Back story:
We have a 67 (wifes) that was originally a I6 car. They put a 350 with Holley carb an 2 speed power glide which ran great other then if it sat to long it would start to get hot. Shes had this car in high school an has been sitting for the past 2 to 3 years. Before then it would get driven probably once a week. Last time it saw the street they went out the driveway an car had no brakes. (Manual) So the car as sit since then.

Present Day:
The car has been in a garage at her parents. They have decided to downsize an we need to bring the car to our place. ( 3 hr drive).

The car ran fine when parked other then the brakes going out. Battery was dead of course. I got the car started an it ran really rough an has some grey maybe white puffs of smoke an wanted to cut out. I know the gas has to be bad. I'll have a video but wont let me upload it. I'll try to atleast screen shot a picture of it.

So I'm asking yall what are your opinions, bad gas, carb issue, plugs/wires, distributor, blown head gasket. Any help would be great before I mess with it to much.

Appreciate yall time.. Edit: I'm heading back up there this weekend I'll try to get a video that will upload.

Screen shot from vid

Last edited by Motown67Camaro; 08-14-2020 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Pictures added..
Old 08-13-2020, 07:35 PM
4th Gear Member

If you didn't put a stabilizer in the gas it could certainly be bad gas and the carb may well have suffered as well from gas going bad in it.
Gas starts to deteriorate in about 30 days anymore especially if it's got ethanol in it,I always fill my car with non-ethanol gas and treat it with Stabil when she gets parked for the winter.
I would have shot some oil in the spark plug holes and turned it over with the plugs out either by hand or with the starter to get some lube to the rings first but that's water under the bridge now.
Get some fresh gas in it and add some Sea Foam then run her a while ,she may clear up.
White smoke was probably condensation in the exhaust burning off,a little grey smoke was probably oil that has seeped past the valve seals over time into the cylinders.
Not uncommon after sitting that long,also a few shots of Gumout in the carb from a spray can while she's running may help clean out some of the varnish in the carb from the old gas.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:03 PM

Thank you,

I'll get some new gas and try the sea foam and gamut.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:39 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Motown67Camaro
Thank you,

I'll get some new gas and try the sea foam and gamut.
Good luck and let us know how it works out,that's a real nice car you have there.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Good luck and let us know how it works out,that's a real nice car you have there.
Will do. Heading back to Maryland to mess with it this weekend.

My wife was working at a dog kennel while she was in high school to pay for the car. She drove it her junior an senior year of school winning best car. Go figure. Haha

Hard to believe she has had it for 18 years. It was a shame we had to leave it in Md an it not have the attention it needed. She will becoming home with us soon.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:21 PM

I still can't manage to get a video to load on this site for the life of me.

If you go to YouTube an type in 1967 Camaro first start up in 3 years you can see the video instead of the still pictures.

Thanks

Old 08-14-2020, 09:54 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Motown67Camaro
I still can't manage to get a video to load on this site for the life of me.

If you go to YouTube an type in 1967 Camaro first start up in 3 years you can see the video instead of the still pictures.

Thanks
Sounds like it may have a bit of a cam in it,what does it have for a carb and intake? Also sounds like it has headers,didn't sound all that bad to me for a long sit if it has a cam.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:58 PM
4th Gear Member
Old 08-14-2020, 09:59 PM
4th Gear Member

I'd give my left nut for that car.

Last edited by Y2Keglide; 08-14-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Sounds like it may have a bit of a cam in it,what does it have for a carb and intake? Also sounds like it has headers,didn't sound all that bad to me for a long sit if it has a cam.
yeah it has a cam. I'm not sure if the specs of the cam. I know it has a Holley four barrel on it. Not sure about the intake.

It ran ok just wouldnt stay running. Would cut off if I was giving it gas. I was just concerned about the few puffs of smoke.

Quick Reply: Need some help an knowledge!! 67 Camaro