Need some help from camaro fanatics

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The 3970010 isn't saying much, as it's a pretty common block. That casting was used from 1969-1980, as either the 69 302, or as different variations of 350's throughout all of those years.
What is the string of numbers/letters on the front pad?

Old 05-30-2011, 11:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Here's the full number aside from the casting:

ce9b33646

Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The "CE" stands for "Chevrolet Engine", although some also like to refer to it as Crate Engine or Counter Engine. Just in case someone says duh, I know it's a Chevy engine...Buick's replacement code letter was B, Olds was L, Pontiac was P, Cadillac was K. Those CE engines were issued as a warranty replacement, but were also available over the counter. So the "9" would stand for 1969, assuming that was indeed the replacement engine put in that car at the time. It's unknown what the "b" stands for, as some have it and some don't. The other 5 numbers are a serial number from the engine plant. The 3xxxx series engines were built in the Flint MI plant. Now here's something more interesting. When that warranty engine was installed in your car (assuming it was), the dealership should have stamped the car's VIN on the block. That wasn't always done though. Since there isn't anything on the front pad, look at the vertical pad that's by the driver's side bellhousing, behind the oil filter boss. VIN numbers were sometimes stamped there.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'll take a look next time I'm over there to verify. Good info, thanks again man

Old 05-31-2011, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You're welcome, and good luck. Look very closely at that rear pad, as it's a rougher surface than the front pad, and it could have gotten a half-arsed stamp job.
Then add years of gunk, rust, or paint on top of that...

Old 05-31-2011, 12:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Very true. It's kind of stuffed in a corner in the back of the garage so it is somewhat hard to see as it is. I'll see if I can get something to roll it out and get some good light to look at.

On the good news of things:

- Got his powdercoating lined up, paid for and ready for him.
- Also got a quote from an upholstery shop for the seats, waiting for example work and materials to come back to make sure it's the right stuff.

Should be a nice father's day surprise.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

For father's day i went ahead and got the powdercoating ready for him. It's all set and ready to go. Gave him his card with a "free pass for one good powdercoating on the fastest non-running camaro ever" - he was pretty excited. I haven't told him i plan on doing his seats and the engine. But he was pretty excited. I think it landed a little motivation for him to get working on it.

He said "I think it's time we started getting it together as a winter project this year!"

FINALLY... something out of him on working on it! It's about damn time.

Still a long ways to go. I still haven't had a chance to make it over there, I'll snag some pics of the car next time I make my way over there. They visit over here all the time and I hardly ever head that way just because they're over here so much. But, I'll make a point to do it on one of my days off. I need a good excuse to go for a ride anyway.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Cool thing, sounds like you lit a fire under his butt like you wanted to do. Hope you get the car on the road sooner than later.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah hopefully the fire stays there lol. I think he is super worn out from work and everything. He's been at his job, same job, same store since before I was born... that is a very long time to do the same thing. I think he's in that mode of "Ugh... hate my job... bored to death.. broke as a joke... what do I do now?"

So hopefully this will help him get out of his rut.

Once I go over there next time I'll get a bigger list of things that need done. Was surprised how open he was to me getting something for his car, he didn't give me any "I'm doing it myself!" or "No, I refuse to accept" just a wide open "Thanks!"

I invited him to autocross with me next week so he can ride along and maybe get some of that gasoline-as-blood-car-addict going again for him. It's been years for him.