Need some help from camaro fanatics

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Aftermarket cams cut to the exact specs of the original DZ302 engine are still available from a couple major makers, and I would make sure that's what you put in to keep the original power band and sound.
I would also remove rings from the pistons and check them for fit to the present bore, just to see if the engine has already been bored, and needs new pistons, or if the pistons are already to bore size. If you need new pistons the 10:1CR is the only change from fatory I'd make, since it will work much better on today's pump gas.
The crank can be checked for wear and simply turned if needed. I agree with not decking the block, as it wont make any good difference, and the loss of numbers will kill the value. I would however make sure they will align bore the mains to get the bottom end trued up, as this will ensure long life, and hurts nothing.
I'd resuse the stock rods and just have them checked and sized. It runs about $10 a rod, and will also keep the engine closer to stock, plus save money.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Good info thanks guys.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:26 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

why are you wanting to drop the compression? if you are going to have it built to factory specs its 11 to 1 not 10 to 1.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by camaroboy68ss
why are you wanting to drop the compression? if you are going to have it built to factory specs its 11 to 1 not 10 to 1.
Not sure, that's something on my dad's agenda, not mine. he mentioned the engine is 11:1 and he wanted 10:1. Why I am not exactly sure. I can try and dig into it a bit more and see if I can find out for him. Perhaps it's for the reason BB427 mentioned (running better on pump gas?).

I can probably get away with asking him more about it without giving stuff away.

Last edited by Corse; 05-08-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by camaroboy68ss
Proabably becaue he'd like to drive it, and not pay for racing fuel.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Mine's about 10.6:1 and runs fine, with no pinging on premium. 11:1 is going to need some octane booster in the gas. Of course, the profile of the cam plays a part on your final c.r.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Mine's around 10.25:1 and runs great on premium, and if I'm out on the road it will work OK with mid range (if I can find it), but no way it will run regular. I do have to be careful of timing even with premium, but if it's set up right it does fine.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Alright guys, so I hate to be a skeptic, my dad did indeed claim it was a numbers matching DZ302. However, I tried to be as optimistic about it as I could be.

I was able to get the VIN information as well as the engine stampings.

He always told me that the engine was the original that came with it but he could never find the DZ code, etc etc... he said the engine had been rebuilt as well and had a build sheet.

So where the engine stamping is showing the DZ code, he only had one number, which I thought was pretty weird. Rather than a partial vin, then the stamping that would match whether or not it was a correct engine, he had a CE stamping which included the rest of the stamping.

After a little google magic and some numbers work I found this:

Camaro - Engine

I had him sort through his paperwork which did indeed show that it was a 302 engine and it had been bored out and had work done to it. However, the VIN on his engine matches a CE code which is a /factory replacement/ but the engine vin matches up for a 302 for a 69' Z28 camaro. So, is it the right engine? Yes. Is it the original engine? No.

My thoughts are that likely the original was grenaded, destroyed, something went wrong with it, they bought a factory replacement, got work done, dropped it in and drove on.

My dad wasn't all that bummed, I sure was because I was optimistic for him, just skeptical that he was never able to find the right information. But it didn't blow up his ego.

He said "Well... at least I have the satisfaction of knowing it's the right engine for the car, and whoever did mess up the original engine at least did it right and put a factory replacement from Chevy in the car, they at least cared that much. Makes me wonder if the block was no good and they grenaded it."

I've seem some pretty horrific engine grenades in my short lifetime, but a big huge V8, can't say I have seen that.

Anyway... so that sheds a little light on the situation.

However, good news is, the rest of the car does match up, all the factory options are right, he matched up the paint codes and actually I found out that the paint color he got (daytona yellow) matches up with the original VIN on his car. Turns out the kid who owned it originally repainted it to the blue that it is now. So he is dead set on getting this car back to "original" shape.

I am holding off on the engine rebuild though because he said now that he knows it is the right engine, but not the original "He may or may not go with a 383", he apparently has 2 other blocks laying around the garage (I knew he had one, he has another I wasn't aware of) that he is "contemplating on" putting in instead.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Well, as you said, at least the replacement engine is the right kind. Not as good as having the matching numbers block, but better than having any old engine slapped in there. How about the date of the block, is it close to the car? I would hang on to that 302, even if you guys do put a different engine in it. Although, keeping the engine true to the heritage of the car is a cool thing too.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The block casting matches 3970010 which is a 69' 302 far as I can tell. I see there is also a 9b in the engine vin as well which if I'm reading right is the month and day for the year.

Quick Reply: Need some help from camaro fanatics