Need help identifying an engine in a 68 Camaro (RS/SS clone)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Default Need help identifying an engine in a 68 Camaro (RS/SS clone)

Hi,

I am looking at getting a 68 convertible camaro next week. I have a number of questions to ask the seller, but if i could be a bit more informed from you guys, I will feel a bit more comfortable.

I have only seen photos & will see the car in person shortly.

Where in the engine compartment is the information plate (all the factory option information)?

What engine is this (see pics)? I thought it was a 327 based on other engine photos of camaros I saw but I am not 100%.

Question for seller I have:

1. What gears in the 10 bolt rear?
2. What carb is it running?
3. Is there A/C (I dont think there is)
4. Is there power steering or disc brakes?
5. Is there a powerglide transmission? - if not what is in it?

Any ideas on the value?

Thanks,
Rich

Name:  227251297310.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  164.1 KB

Name:  517751297310.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  200.3 KB

Name:  635351297310.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  102.2 KB

Last edited by RichTJ99; 12-11-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

it is not a powerglide it would be 2 speed see a 3 speed shifter in pic does show power brakes,power steering. as for what small block it is I would be looking to see if the block matches the car vin, some numbers investigation called for, helps value Very good looking car good luck

Old 12-10-2011, 10:08 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

the trim tag is on the firewall to the left of the brake booster. all it tells you what body it is, when and where it was built and what exterior, top and interior color was. unless there is a original window sticker or build sheet there no real way to prove its originality. from looking at the pics i can almost certainly tell you the motor is not the original one. the valve covers mainly give it away. in 68 they changed over from having the vent tube in the back to running a pcv valve and breather in the valve covers. breather was on one side the pcv valve on the other. the newer blocks were not cast to accept the older style. also the car is not a factory ac car. there is a lack of huge box on the passenger side. if it was an ac car then there would almost be no room on the passenger side of the motor. also there would be more vents in the dash of the car. also having a 10 bolt does prove the car is not a ss car. without seeing the tail lights i can be sure if its a true rs car either. another big thing that sticks out it the front stripe its waayy off even being close to correct, but im big on original cars so it sticks out to me. whats wrong with it is that at the side engine emblem the back half goes straight down where it should curve with the front the width is not as big of deal because they were all different at the factory.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

To start with, you have to assume that the car, optioned out as it is, isn't really what it appears to be, unless the seller has documentation to back it up. And since your title says RS/SS clone, you must already know what it isn't. Unfortunately, the 68 trim tag was very sparse on information. Nothing on it to say anything more than the basics.
There's absolutely no way to tell what engine you have, just by looking at the picture. The non-original items (valve covers, intake manifold) that are now on it mean nothing. Btw, the factory 68 intake had an oil filler tube in the front, with a screw on cap on top. You can see the flat boss area on the intake, but not cut out, so that manifold is a non-original, universal fit style. The RS grille and lights have been added on, as well as the RS tail lights with separate reverse lights (if that's what it has) For all you know, that car could have started out as a bare bones 6 cylinder car.
So, what you want to do when you see the car, is check the numbers on the block, in front of the passenger side head. It's right under where the fuel line is going across, and I'm sure painted up nice and perty like the rest of the block. With it being painted as heavily as it looks, you may not be able to make out the numbers without scraping the paint off, something the seller could have a hissy fit about. There is/should be a partial VIN stamped there, that would match the last 6 digits of your cars VIN. If it does, it's numbers matching, if not it's not. There's also another set of numbers there, which tells the engine plant, build date, and a "suffix code" which tells what kind of engine it is and what model of car it belongs in. There are also casting numbers in the back of the engine, as well as a casting date, which can help you to cross reference what that block is.
Check out the attached links, they tell you how to find the casting numbers and suffix code, and what they mean.
Camaro Decoding help on Chevy-Camaro.com
Chevy Camaro Engine Code Help
Chevy Engine Codes - on Chevy-Camaro.com

Last edited by Camaro 69; 12-11-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 AM

I do have a photo of the vin which starts with: 124678n . This is based on the window sticker on a NYS registration.

While I think you cant assume anything in life, lets assume the vin is correct & it starter life as a 1968 Camaro V8 Convertible built in Ohio.

Lets also assume he painted it, rebuilt it, put new sheetmetal on it (which I was told he did).

My plans are to hang onto the car & enjoy it, take it out on weekends, groceries, ice cream with the kids. I guess I could end up at a car show or two but thats not really my thing.

What is something like this worth? - aside from what someone is willing to pay for it.

Will the value go up over the next 5 years or down due to the 'flaws' of it not being original?

Thanks,
Rich

Edit: I really didnt say thank you properly for this great information! I have always wanted a Gen 1 convertible Camaro & I hope this fits the bill! Thanks again for all the help!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:01 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

this car will go up in value but how much is the big question. to most people wanting a first gen camaro covert wont really care about originality but most of those situations that person is a on small limitied budget. the car wont appeal to the high end collectors becasue its not a big block car, not optioned well and lacks documentation. dont get down though because its still a first gen drop top! but dont expect to see a huge surge in value because all of the big boys with oddles of money will pass on the car. but people who like camaros and want to do their own thing to it will want it all day long. as to what its worth i really dont have a clue because prices around me are probably way different that around you.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:06 PM

I guess my question is more along the lines of if I pay 22k for this Camaro & decide that a "fake" SS isnt for me & I need a 'real' SS, will I be able to get my money back out of the car if I get it for 22K?

Or is 22K highway robbery / or a good price for this car which is likely just a regular camaro dressed up (incorrectly) as a RS/SS clone?

From my completed listing research on Ebay (not sure where else to look), the price seems to be inline with what other stuff is sold, if the car is as perfect as its being represented.

My understanding is this is a buy & drive vs a buy & repair type of car.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 12-11-2011, 03:02 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

maybe. it depends if you find the right buyer more than likely no you wont. IMO if i were buying that car i would strip the stripe off and redo just that if the green paint could be matched if not then a whole new paint job. to most camaro people i think the stripe and its flaws stick out like a sore thumb. with a new nose stripe it would look a lot better and would probably add alot to the value. also i noticed on the fender where the engine emblem is the 396 emblem. i would change that to the 350 to help hide it being a fake. the big block badge with a small block car turns some buyers away instantly

Old 12-11-2011, 09:50 PM
December 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club

Around Oklahoma and Texas area you see a car like this with no rust, a good to perfect paint, 350 with auto no AC run $22K to $30+K. that's for a non original #s matching car. (talking about a car that is complete, not a project in the works)

looks like someone did take some time working on it. paint looks good (paint job can set you back $10 to $20K) and interior looks good (that can add up I can attest to)

I am not big into green nor convertibles but I don't see 22K as a bad buy around this part of country just hit craigslist and search all the states, the prices do change depending where you are

Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 PM

Some additional photos:

Name:  960731297310Small.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  958441297310Small.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  939251297310Small.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  919451297310Small.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  903331297310Small.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  894441297310Small.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  71.5 KB

Name:  725351297310Small.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  718451297310Small.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  694441297310Small.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  635351297310Small.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  41.6 KB

Quick Reply: Need help identifying an engine in a 68 Camaro (RS/SS clone)