My 67 RS Camaro Project Build Log

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Default My 67 RS Camaro Project Build Log

Ok so as a New Years Resolution I decided to finish a project that began over 10 years ago (that story can be found in the newbie part of the forum)
https://camaroforums.com/forum/new-members-area-95/not-really-new-just-bee-long-time-47948/

The car
67 Rs Camaro
250 inline 6
2 speed powerglide
Rear end (i am unsure about don't know the code)
has minor rust all over body
interior also has seen better days
currently mix of white and grey (grey being primer)

It's not running at the moment a Gremlin in the electrical somewhere i will track it down soon enough.The engine needs a rebuild leaks oil like a Harley and the heater core blew up (no joke scared the s**t out of me driving home one day when i ended up with most of the coolant on the passenger floor) so that's the bad.

The good it drives strait/brakes are good and the rest of the drive train feels solid

The plan
A restoration/modifaction

Body) Cleaned up and painted. Possibly some of the body will get cosmetic mods

Paint job) Custom and under raps sorry guys that's a wait and see

Engine) Replaced with a 292 it looks like stock but has more power potential
the end-result for that motor will be a boring to make it 5.0 and turbo charger
(that will be done after the car has been made road worthy again)

Transmission) cleaned up rebuilt and modded with a shift kit that i bought for better control

Interior) this will get a more modern look and feel the steering wheel and front seats have already been updated

Suspension/steering/Brakes) this all works but will eventually get worked on

Electronics) this mostly works and depending on the issue will be updated now or later down the line.

Well that's the plan Progress and picks to come

I need a 292 and am asking is there anyone in wa willing to part with one? I have a 327 long block that needs major TLC for trade or sell I don't have a lot right now so am kinda hoping to trade of for a donation as they aren't a favorite so if you have one laying around please shoot me a line and maybe we can work something out.

the first one thats a friend who was helping sand and prime that day
Name:  SSPX0027.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  79.8 KB
Name:  SSPX0028.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  76.0 KB
Name:  SSPX0029.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  76.7 KB
Name:  SSPX0031.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  105.7 KB
Name:  SSPX0036.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  68.1 KB
Name:  Photo_060408_004.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  69.2 KB

Last edited by Jack Daniels; 01-20-2010 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

We require pics man. We're like the plant in "Little Shop of Horrors" feed us man.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by adam86107
We require pics man. We're like the plant in "Little Shop of Horrors" feed us man.
no pics on this pc they will be uploaded in a few days

Old 01-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

292's are pretty rare these days, they are around but not as many as you may think. As you know they are truck motors but back in the 70's and 80's a lot of circle tracks had a problems with Semi Stock class going too fast. The semi Stocks had very limited safty requirments. They slowed the class down by forcing inline 6 cylinders. The junk yard quickly emptied of the 292's.

In the long run the SBC will be cheaper. If you watch craigs list you can find old school V8's pretty cheap. If you watch for unfinshed projects you can sometimes get an entire car with a decent motor, Sell off some parts and scrape the rest. Heck I see late 80's early 90's Suburbans with 350's selling for $600 to $700. I scraped out a burb body last month and got $350 for it by weight. I'bet with a little effort I could have sold the seats and the trans for $200 and still gotten $325 for it.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:46 AM

if i wanted a 350 sbc i could use about a half dozen around here. no the plan is there for a reason the 292 is out there i can wait. you obviously know a bit about these cars and about working on them so i wont argue with u but wile i said in my original post that i was in over my head that had more to do with the structure of the car than the build of the engine I have seen what i want at a fair enough price that i can afford but i havent seen one in a while is all. i will take any help offered though.

on a side note i do have skills i can offer i used to work in fiberglass so if anyone needs/wants something glassed you can pick my brain. wi will be glassing some custom parts for the inside of the car and will post those pics as well when i do it.

Last edited by Jack Daniels; 01-17-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am not sure what I said that we could argure about? All I said was 292 are not plenyful like the 230's and 250's and V8's are cheaper to build.

I have built both and for what it takes to build a 292 to handle 400 hp you could build SBC 383 that could handle 600 hp. There are 292 fanatic out there that will tell you they will hold up to anything. I was on a race team in the 80's I have seen dozens of 292 with rods out the side of the blocks from 5000 RPMs in motors that dynoed under 300hp. Thats why a flinch a little when I hear turbo I6. These motors really do not like high RPMs. and turbos love the RPMS.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'd dump the 250 and go with the 327. No matter what you do to a 292, it wont ever perform as well as a 327 for the same amount of money and effort. For half as much money the 327 would give you more HP.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:59 PM

I believe you guys are missing the point power isn't the end goal. The 292 is a statement the car came factory inline so a look that is close to factory but updated is part of that statement if i wanted go fast power i have a friend with an 383 i could barter with. the motor is one piece of a greater picture envisioned by my father. It's not about just power it's about balance and more importantly realizing one of the last goals me and my father set out to do before he passed. this is why it's so important.

and i agree with u even balanced these motors wont see anything greater than 7 with a powerband of 5500 but i have a plan for that motor a set of blueprints if you will laid out for the 292 and if i stick to it it will turn heads . My father was very specific abut what needed to be done to get the hp he said it would make i wont brag and say it will be a monster but my father was an expert mechanic with his own speed shop so i'm not an idiot and know it's limitations i said i was in over my head on this project not cause of the power train but cause of finances and body work needed.

I'm just going to have to let the project do the speaking i guess.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If Turbo I6 is the dream, go for it man! It would definitely turn some heads at a show, i would stop and give it a walk around.

If I may offer a suggestion on the trans rebuild, I bought a the whole transmission from BTE racing cheaper than it would have cost to rebuild and buy all the goodies. Its a th400 with a manual valve body & a 10' converter. Maybe you're looking for a different setup on the PG but BTE was the ticket for me.

Good luck

Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I think what you're doing is cool. It's all too easy to yank a 6 cyl out of the car and put a v8 in it's place. Hosestly, I can't remember the last time I've seen a 6 cyl. 1st Gen Camaro, and I go to many cruise nights and shows over the summer. It's practically to the point to where the 6 cyl. Camaro is now the rare breed. Pop the hood of a nicely dressed out 6 banger, and it will draw attention in it's own way.

Quick Reply: My 67 RS Camaro Project Build Log