Muffler Recommendation for a droptop

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Default Muffler Recommendation for a droptop

Guys,
I guess one of the first projects on the 67 would be to get rid of the OEM single exhaust. Since it sounds like a Camry and not a musclecar. Been a while since I put muffers on a V8. There is alot of different products available.

I want something mild and not loud, and won't drone us out of the car with the top down. It has OE manifolds and thats OK, at this point headers wouldn't be required or needed.

Also where do most drop the exhaust? At the rear valence or more up by the spring. The OE single is down there near the spring.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 05-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Muffler Recommendation for a droptop

Your biggest challange is going to be how to get the pipes past the floors. Hard tops tend to take advantage of the driveshaft tunnel. Can't do that with a drop top because of the Cross support. If you look around at bolt on systems I think you will find noone makes one for the drop top. Most of the kits say except convert. If they don't say they should. I am told you can get a 1-3/4" set of pipes thru the hole and make it work but they will not fit any bigger.

2possible fixs I have found. A local exhause shop was offering a custom made X pipethat Xed right under the cross support running bothpipe into one oblong 1-3/4" X 3"ish pipe. Two: Hotchkis makes a differnt cross support that allows for larger pipes. http://www.hotchkis.net/p-548-67-69-...e-support.aspx

If you find anything else plase let me know.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

if I were you, I'd just have a custom one bent up. also, if you don't want any drone stay away from flowmaster and those types of mufflers that all the meatheads (and there are plenty)are going to suggest. the people that say flows don't have any drone, obviously don't even know what it is

Old 06-06-2008, 09:02 PM

Guys thanks for the recommendations, I will get a custom set bent. I found a great place local that does some fine work. I have some other issues to square away before I start on exhaust. I have exhaust leaks galore right now. Probably need to replace the manifolds or install some headers.

I'll most likely end up with a superturbo or similar. I have heard the 40s and 50s and they are a little droning for what I want on the RS.