MSD or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default MSD or not

I am thinking of switching my ignition over to an MSD system. This includes, their 8361 distributor, the digital 6A or 6AL module and their coil.

I have been reading various threads on different forums and it would seem that there is an issue with getting the TAC to work using the MSD system.

I have a reproduction Tic-Toc in my '68. It works great on my current original system using PERTRONIX Ignitor II and coil.

I don't want to spend the money and the effort to convert only to find out that my TAC won't work. I would like a newer distributor (as mine is worn) and I like the stronger spark...but I don't want to give anything up,

Will I get better overall drive-ability and performance with an MSD ignition system over my current setup?

Should I spend the money and time?

Vic

Last edited by cadmanof50s; 06-09-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:40 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

you can run the 6al box with ur current setup. it will give you hotter spark than what you have. our 33 ford pickup still runs a points distributer and the msd box and has worked great for nearly 20 years now!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:42 AM
2nd Gear member

I am running an MSD Distributor, Coil and 6AL with my old, I mean old Sun tach and I'm not having any issues. Not sure about your setup.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Jeff,

Where do you connect the TAC wire too?
Did your TAC original connect to the Negative side of the coil?

Old 06-10-2011, 01:46 PM
2nd Gear member

I'll double check, it's been a few years since I installed it, but I believe there are three wires. I should be able to take a peak at it tonight and get back with you tomorow if nobody else chimes in :-)

Last edited by StoveBolts; 06-10-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Chime! "When all else fails.....read the instructions": MSD Installation Instructions
Page 2 and 7 covers the tach hookup. On a conventional ignition, the tach gets hooked up to the (-) side of the coil.
But the MSD has a tach output terminal on the side of the unit.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 06-10-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Chime! "When all else fails.....read the instructions": MSD Installation Instructions
Page 2 and 7 covers the tach hookup. On a conventional ignition, the tach gets hooked up to the (-) side of the coil.
But the MSD has a tach output terminal on the side of the unit.
Thats right! It's all coming back to me now

Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

All you needed was a nudge, eh?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks folks.

The reason I asked about where the TACH was connected is because the MSD unit puts out a square-wave voltage at it's TAC output terminbal....which (rumor has it) is not compatible with the older TIC-TOCS or the OER units.
And yes, MSD has an adapter... but again...many people have had problems with this setup, even with the adapter.

I was curious to see what Jeff's hook up was and if he had to use an adapter. Some people have complained that hooking up their old TAC to the MSD unit TAC output will only let their TAC get to about 2000 RPM...I have heard various stories..some good, some not so good. Just wanted to see if anyone else out there has had some of this issues (or not).

Vic

Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
All you needed was a nudge, eh?
Better than a swift kick!

Hey Vic,
I just came in from the garage and as embarassing as this is, my tach isnt a Sun tach It's an old VDO. The 71 Nova I had 20 years ago had the Sun Anyway, I bought the camaro 11 years ago and I'm sure the tach was old then too. (Everyone kinda getting the idea why I'm so anxious to drive it )

But to your point.

There are three wires. (I was right lol!)

One goes to body ground. In my case it's grounded under the dash.
The second wire goes to the fuse box
The third wire goes to the 6AL.

Works great with no problems and I've even bumped against the 7000 rpm rev limiter a few times. Anyway, if you hooked your tic toc up to the 6al, is there any chance of damaging your tach or is there just a chance it may not function correctly? I suppose the second question would be (Which I don't have an answer for), but couldn't you just go straight to the coil still?