Lowering Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Default Lowering Questions

I have a few questions for the CF members. I'm working on my 68 camaro first question what is the benefits of lowering. Next I will be running 235/60R15 in the front and 275/60R15 in the rear. Is 1.5" in the front pretty standard with no issues, also would I only need lowering springs in the front. Next would 2" in the rear conflict with my tire size. What would be the best way to lower the rear. I'm just looking for mean stance with good handling. Thanks for the info up front.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 AM
2nd Gear member

My advice would be to talk to the guys at Detroit Speed, they have kits for lowering your car down and should be able to handle all of your questions concerning tire height.

But if you don't want to go that route, you could always go two ways with the front suspension, 2" drop spindle or you could cut some coils off of your front springs.

I have a big block and I'm using Moog 6308 and cut off 2 full coils and it gives my car a good low stance. I'm using this until I can get a QA-1 coil over conversion kit, which is another option you can use. With this kit you can adjust your ride height using a spanner wrench and the correct front springs.

As for the rear, I'd look for a single leaf spring, where as the multi will lift the rear up higher.

Also for handling and if you plan to road race it or anything, I'd get front and rear sway bars.

I was never much into having my Camaro's handle, I'm more into drag racing, so I"m sure there is someone else out there that can give you better advice, but just give Detroit Speed a call and I'm sure they can put you in the right direction.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 AM

Im not much into road racing but the reason I asked is because I am about to purchase my suspension I already have calvert racing 90/10 front shocks and wilwood front disc brake conversion that uses the stock drum spindle, still need to purchase front coils. If I can get a decent stance from using lowering coils I would prefer that. I already run monos in the rear and wanted to stay mono. that might help level my car. I just dont want the rear high and front low. I will be running a big block also.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear member

Sounds like you and I have a very similar front end setup. I also got the Calvert front shocks for a big block, D3201 or something like that?
I was told to look into Santhuffs coil springs but knowing that I'm going with the QA-1 setup I didn't want to spend a lot of money knowing it was going to be coming out.

Like I said, the Moog 6308 is a 6 cyl spring and I cut two full coils off of it and the top of the tire is just under the wheel well opening. I got them from Summit for $75.00 for the pair.

I was using in my other Camaro, mono's and ran 275/60-15's on the rear and it sat nice and level. If you plan to put people in the back, it might be to your interest to get a good spring for the back, because I can remember when someone was back there, everytime you went around a corner, you could hear the tire rub. Maybe talk to Calvert to see if they have springs that would work for you as well?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 AM

Just talked to the boys at Detroit side note very professional and helpful personnel, they suggested to get the 2" dropped springs for the front which run about $195 not too bad. Also thinking about upgrade to a DE front sway bar. I already purchased the cal-tracs and rear calvert 60-40 shocks. The shocks will be move inboard and straight up and down with the chris alston shock relocation bar. That might help with the stance. Thanks for the great info on the front.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear member

Those guys know there stuff and your right, $195 doesn't sound to bad.

Maybe the shock relocation kit will help with the tires hitting the wheel wells.

Something else to think of and it already sound like you put some good thinking into this, but have you thought about poly body bushing?

Good luck on this project.

Bruce

Old 03-29-2012, 11:42 AM

I am installing all new energy suspension bushing, idler arm, inner/outer tie rod ends..so on. DE also said with all new suspension components should help the handling and ride quite a bit. I wasnt sure why ppl was lowering if it was for the looks or handling. I will need help with my project as I can only work on it during leaves from Afghanistan. Body bushing was installed at the body shop. You can see in the link for the beginners forum where I did the whole interior, badges and pretty much to where it is now. . There is also a before pic if you like to check it out. Thank for the help.

https://camaroforums.com/forum/new-m...g-68-ss-68703/

Last edited by bhodges061; 03-29-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear member

First off, I want to say thank you for keeping me, my family and this country safe.

Second off, you promise me that your going to keep the front spoiler off? (Very nice car by the way....)

I kept the front bumper off of my 68 and loved it until the local cops figured things out. So I got a fiberglass one and painted it body color.

I loved my 68, it had a 331, then a 331 with a blower, then a 302/ 4 speed which was wild, then my current big block and then I pulled that and installed a mild 350 and sold it.

I love my 69 but I'd take my 68 back in a heart beat.

Stay say and keep your head down.

I'd salute you, but there is no smiliey face for that, so just take my word on that, ok?

Last edited by bruce69camaro; 03-29-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 AM

Thank for you the kinds words, we try our best. I was considering putting the front bumper on but I will take a second look at it. I bought mine as a rolling chassis and will be putting a big block in also. I cant wait to hear her heart fire up for the first time. I like the 69's but the 68's really do it for me. When I get back I can finish my camaro then start my 59' Apache. Then on to other projects. Goods news is I have my plan for the suspension. I will use the DE lowering springs in the front and hoping to use the monos in the rear. Will adjust later if needed.