Leaf springs / tire scrubbing

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

69SS427, how much do you want for the fiberglass springs, I may be interested in them.
Vettes started riding on fiberglass springs in 1984, so they don't scare me.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Former Sponsor

69SS427 – How much power does your Camaro have? Are you going to drag race it? Have you rolled the fender lips? It looks like that would help. If you want to make extra clearance, don’t cut the lip off, rolling it up will be much better in the long run.
StoveBolts – In your post you had mentioned that we may have some input on 69SS427's leaf springs. Fiberglass leaf springs are much lighter than steel. They were designed to be compressed/bent in an arc, but we’re not sure if they were designed to be bent into and “S” shape like they will be if you have a lot of power and traction. We don’t want to say negative things about parts from any manufacturer, so it’s probably best for 69SS427 to call the manufacturer and ask them how they feel about using traction bars and or slide-a-link bars on their springs. Our guess is they wouldn’t suggest having a device scraping and bumping (and possibly digging into) the fiberglass leaf.
These traction aide devices are probably better suited for a steel spring.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The interesting thing about fiberglass springs is, they don't "wrap up" and give wheel hop the same way steel springs do. With glass springs, you don't necessarily need a traction device, where with steel springs you would. However, with a high h.p. engine, I'd still want to use some sort of traction device to take the load off, preferably one that doesn't put stress on the front of the spring (ala slapper bars). Ehhhhhh.....then again, I don't want to talk him into keeping the springs either! Yeah, that's it. Those glass springs are junk man, send them my way!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:10 PM

well when they crack ill say i told you so :-) and vette springs are mounted the other way, i know cuz i have a vette also and a glass spring in that and its fine.

there things are horrible!! fine on a straight shot with no bumps. the more i look at my car the more it doesnt look like it sits as high as it use to, i might have worn them out already!! lol maybe.

never dynoed the engine yet, its got a comp cam 280, edlebrock intake, headers x pipe exhaust, msd box etc etc. 427 punch out i believe 30.

wouldnt you all agree that a 5 leaf steel spring is safer?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:12 PM

by the way do some digging you will find pictures of them cracked.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:01 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by StoveBolts
Anyway, I think the slide a links would resolve your issue with the tires scrubbing, but it raises another concern that maybe Hotchkis can answer. And that is, are the fiberglass springs stout enough to handle the added pressure that the slide a links are going to impose upon them?
Originally Posted by Hotchkis
Fiberglass leaf springs are much lighter than steel. They were designed to be compressed/bent in an arc, but we’re not sure if they were designed to be bent into and “S” shape like they will be if you have a lot of power and traction.
didn't know that about the fiberglass (bening in an arc, not an S). I don't understand the physics behind a set of springs, but I knew that excessive S shape can cause excessive Axle wrap which is never good. I know the Slide a Links will stop the axle wrap and actually transfer that force back down on the tire so I kind of assumed that the back half of the spring would be called on for a bit more work. Again, I'm not really sure, just guessing, so I was wondering if a fiberglass spring would hold up. Anyway, don't want to put you in a position to speak for another vendor.

Thanks for the information though!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:54 PM

so i must have overlooked we put monoleaf shocks in when we did the fiberglass springs, with these new 5 leafs the shocks are too short, are the multi leaf shocks taller?

they are bilsteins.

recommendations? (shocks)

opinions on koni shocks