Kick Panel Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 09:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Kick Panel Speakers

I just installed a Retro sound radio in my 68 convertible. Currently I only have the aftermarket dash speaker in place Sounds terrible. I was looking at installing the kick panel speakers and was wondering has anyone here used them and if so which ones, how do they sound and how easy was installation?
Thanks

Old 03-04-2020, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member

The DS kick panel requires you to remove the parking brake pedal. Not rocket science but can be a bit tedious

Otherwise aftermarket speaker kick panels are available at the usual suppliers (Ecklers, Camaro Central, NPD, etc)

Old 03-04-2020, 05:39 PM

from what i've read removing the kick panels is a pain because they're glued on as well as screwed on. my car already had them installed, luckily. not sure I would have bothered.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by jakec
from what i've read removing the kick panels is a pain because they're glued on as well as screwed on. my car already had them installed, luckily. not sure I would have bothered.
Thanks for the replies. Do the speakers give good sound?

Old 03-06-2020, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member

OP

For a Vert your speaker placement choices are limited for rear speakers because of the Vert top obviously (no package tray). Enclosed speakers on floor behind front seats is a option but may not be what you want. Likely putting them in rear window panels but I suspect that kills rear window operation, IDK

Not sure what can be done in front doors without interfering with window operation. Kick panels seem to be the most logical position and aftermarket kick panels for this position can be found. I would suspect a car audio installer can cut existing ones but the DS brake pedal/release needs to be removed to install new kick panels. All doable

Regarding sound quality from any of these positions, it depends on what speakers you get. I have JBL in rear & Polk up front powered by a Pioneer 200 watt AM/FM/CD/BT head unit (50watts per ch) and it is plenty loud with Flowmaster 40 exhaust and windows down on Fwy.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:17 PM
2nd Gear member

I have seen small dual speakers that replace the single factory speaker from a variety of sources Just google it since trying to mount speakers in the kick panels is such a pain in you know where .

Old 03-06-2020, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

^^^ where my 2 front speakers are when I got the car. Just those alone are "OK"....but not like having true L&R speakers let alone larger ones.

For me with a coupe that front center dual location works very well with the 2 6x9's in the rear package tray. The head unit has EQ & balance controls to make the fronts a great balance

Unfortunately in the OP's case with his Vert front locations be it dash, door or kick panels are his only options unless he goes with enclosed speakers be it on rear seat or on floor in front of rear seat.....or some custom rear seat that incorporates rear speakers

My friend who has a 69 coupe has 2 huge speakers and amp on a board that covers the whole rear seat from inside the trunk. More a sub woofer kind of thing but may be a option for OP. IDK how Verts are in the rear trunk area with top down and if that same set up works

Of course "custom" install anything is always doable if your wallet is thick enough

Old 05-24-2020, 12:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I used kick panel speakers in my 67, they sound ok. I did have to cut the pedal off the emergency brake and locate it in for clearance . The panels aren't actually glued in, there is a lot of caulk around the floor vent however. I had previously mounted speakers in the doors 40 years ago. They were the cheep Kmart type and really didn't have much sound. It isn't a good option for a quality speaker today
You would have to cut away a lot of your door structure to fit a quality speaker in the door, because of the magnet size. Camaro Central has boxes that fit behind the rear seat for speakers, I don't know how you could hear them with the top down though. I installed Vintage Air in my car and had purchased the double speaker for the dash, but found that there wasn't clearance because of the controls and duct hoses

Last edited by Big Ern; 05-25-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

google rear speakers for 67 camaro convertible....and

https://www.camarocentral.com/1967_1..._p/das-111.htm

Old 05-25-2020, 03:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the replies. I installed rear deck mount speakers that actually sound very good. My son has a 3D printer so he made me mounting brackets for the speakers and they are easily removeable if need be.

Quick Reply: Kick Panel Speakers