Just starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Default Just starting

Ok, I am only a month (or two) away from starting a frame off restoration of my father in law's 69 convertible. It is an almighty rust bucket, but all original. Where should I start? Drivetrain? Body? Interior? So many options and not really sure where to begin.

Thanks for any input.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Ive done a number of restorations to date, also just starting a Resto on a 68 camaro but there all the same. I start with body. strip the car down and do body work first. I do interior last. Why recover seats then let them sit till the project is complete. Same with drive train. Longer engine or rear end sits the better the chance for corrosion internally. I'm sure everyone has a process they follow but this is how I start. Good luck and post pictures!

Old 09-26-2013, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with Tim^^ and i start with the stuff i can afford as i go along// I hate rust--get a picture of what it will look like when done to keep you motivated helps also!!

Old 09-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Body, Frame, Suspension, Drive train, Cooling System, Electrical System then glass, interior ect. Have Fun!!

Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 PM

Thanks all. I will be sure to post pics of the rust bucket as money becomes available for parts. I ordered the assembly manual, wiring diagram and owners manual (not sure why) and should start playing in the next month or so.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:01 PM

So, there is fuel (or sludge) in the fuel tank from 1987. Any good ideas for getting it out safely without spilling it all over the place?

Old 10-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Siphon out as much as you can, then drop the tank. Use your own technique, but I use the suck it out by mouth method, and use a clear hose so as not to get any in the mouth. Remove the sending unit and take a good look inside. The tank may be rusty crusty inside, and if so, it would be better to just replace it.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Do yourself a huge favor, take pictures before you remove stuff. Save them in your computer. Keep a journal and write down the date you were working and what you did. Be as accurate and specific as you can. Include the number of bolts, broken parts, washers, shims, clips, whatever, that came off with the part. Draw yourself pictures. Then bag and tag everything. Even if it is junk, don't throw it out. Bag and tag it. Again, be specific. Trust me, two years from now, when you start putting everything back together, you will be glad you did this. Also, keep all the parts in the same general area. Lastly, buy the Assembly Manual (AIM) for your car. It's the single best source of info available.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 AM
4th Gear Member

What he says^
You can never have enough pictures.
Make a log of part numbers of ALL parts used, and draw in any electrical circuit changes.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 AM

Thanks everyone. I am armed with a Sharpie and bags.

Quick Reply: Just starting