just picked up

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:15 PM
2nd Gear member
Default just picked up

just picked up a 10 bolt posi 373 gear from a 69 Camaro my question is when we put it in I will also add multi leafs do I need to add frame connecters or will the stock frame/subframe be ok . your thoughts ( motor 396 4 speed )

Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Do you need to? That depends on how you drive. Will you want to, most likely. If you plan on romping on the car, without connectors you could wind up twisting the unibody, or wrinkling the driver side sail panel, or cracking the windshield. Weld-ins are best, but bolt-ins are better than nothing.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 AM
1st Gear Member

IMO: Any unibody car would benefit from having SFC's installed.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM
4th Gear Member

As said, you can drive it without, but heavy throttle will indeed pull the unibody.
I can see the Snowball Effect coming.
Rear axle, then,
Front U-joint safety loop, then, - ever see a car pole vault? No fun viewing...
Traction bars, then,
Solid body mounts, then,
S/F connectors, then,
Roll bar to tie all together - triangle is the strongest structure/shape.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 AM
2nd Gear member

I'm with the others, it won't hurt.

I found out the hard way racing my 68 with a 302/ 4 speed and coming out at 6000rpm's and shifting at 6500 rpm. One day I noticed a nice wrinkle down on the lower front quarter panel on the driveside.

Frame connectors were added the next day and I fixed the wrinkle and it was all better. I used the bolt in type and they worked fine.

It's like rim screws, do you need them, maybe, maybe not but it's cheap insurance.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear member

just picked up the four leaf set just need to get the bushings kits and purches

Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear member

perches ??? I guess the 4 leaf ones are deeper I need to cut the old ones off and weld the 4 leaf on and bushing should be in Friday I see gm 62 stamped on the old housing and some other numbers what would these numbers mean

Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
As said, you can drive it without, but heavy throttle will indeed pull the unibody.
I can see the Snowball Effect coming.
Rear axle, then,
Front U-joint safety loop, then, - ever see a car pole vault? No fun viewing...
Traction bars, then,
Solid body mounts, then,
S/F connectors, then,
Roll bar to tie all together - triangle is the strongest structure/shape.
wow long list lol

Old 07-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Watch the video below. It's quite laughable, and is proof that some people just have no business working on cars. At least you can learn from someone else's dumb mistakes. I sure hope the guy didn't drive it like this, but it sure looks like he was. Leaving it the way he had it is a good way to kill someone, or yourself.
Anyway, companies like Detroit Speed make a mono to multi leaf conversion/install kit that includes aluminum side spacers. What the guy in the video failed to know, is his new 3 leaf springs can bolt right up to the existing mono perch, and you don't need or want to use spacers. With 5 leaf and above springs, you use the spacers. This is an easier way compared to cutting off the old perches and welding on new ones. With your 4 leafs, I'd scope it out and see how thick of a spacer you may want to use. Not using the rubber isolators is an option that will buy you more space.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-30-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:00 AM
2nd Gear member

Thanks Camaro 69 I looked at the son inlaws 70 Nova and the brackets on the rear end housing with deeper so I thought I would have to change the ones on my camaro I read all big bb,Camaros came with 4 leave maybe somebody could measure the brackets on their big block Camaro for me I am definitely going to call around after work today thanks a lot it would be great if I didn't have to cut out weld the new brackets in now I just have to figure out who 2 call lol and don't say ghostbusters

Quick Reply: just picked up