just got my first 1st gen camaro today

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Default RE: just got my first 1st gen camaro today

i fixed the stalling problem, it wasnt the gas. thats awesome you got to own a mint 1st gen camaro

In 2005, $2,500.00 from 1991 is worth: $3,584.80 using the Consumer Price Index . So I can't believe you got a mint 1st gen for that price. mine is nice but isnt even clsoe to mint and it goes for 11grand. unfortunately its rusting, theres little bubbles under the paint on the quarters. it needs atleast 10k in work to make it look mint. oh well, it isnt that noticable yet at a distance

Old 04-01-2007, 09:58 AM
July 2007 ROTM

dont get scared about the rust or upset,it can be fixed...just remember some people go to junk yards to find these things and redue them...drive it and enjoy it then one day far in the future do the complete restoration..
some people want perfect off the bat and start to tear it apart and then it sits for ever...so enjoy it,you got a great deal...
as far as mine,i did get a deal for mine way back then...i had actually raced him for money that he didnt have,i beat the 68 with my 79 and convinced him to sell it to me,he was from kentucky and was wanting to go home,and thats what he paid for it,before fixing it up a bit...i had rusty floor pans and trunk pan to fix(but they were cut-out)and he had put new quarters on it...
since the recent "makeover"on it i really went crazy everywhere with rust prevention and coating and all looked fine,my roof line is perfect to..so enjoy yours and restore some day...i know how its like to be driving a constant converstion piece,i cant go nowhere without pictures being taken and so on....its like when i parked it9 years ago(when i had my first kid),it barely got any love...lol,now its just crazy..i redid everything in the past year,it sat because of funds and wanting to have enough to do it right...

Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 PM

well i just found out that those tiny bumps on the quarters arnt rust bubbles. i was at a gas station and some guy came up to admire it.. says its some real bad bondo work which hurts the value of the car. but it was good news to me because the bondo wont progress like rust surfaces through the paint. the guy said he knows someone that can fix it and repaint it for 2grand but i dont think you can fix that, wouldnt i need new quarters?

Old 04-02-2007, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Well... assuming that guy knew what he was talking about, that should be an easy fix. But what if it is rust? Is he going to tell you that later after the paint is stripped and you have no other choice but to have him fix it?
Do yourself a favor. Take a refrigerator magnet and see if it sticks to the quarter panel. If it does, great. Maybe it's rusted metal. If it doesn't then you probably have a layer of Bondo under the paint.

Two things; and either way, you're going to have it repainted I assume. First, if that is rust, just that section can be cut out and new sheet metal can be welded in its place. You don't have to replace the entire panel. BIG PAIN!
Second, Bondo can easily be repaired... but you have to look deeper. Even with Bondo, the metal can be rusted. I've never seen Bondo alone bubble up paint. It's always rust.

The condition of the metal can often be understood by looking inside the trunk, under the carpet, behind the headliner, under the fenders or where ever you have to, to see the back side of the panel in question. There you will see the rust or Bondo oozing out holes if any.

If you've seen my Camaro, you've noticed that under the 5 layers of paint and Bondo I found, was rusted metal... in sections. Some places I will patch it and maybe others, replace the entire panel because of the extensive damage.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:19 AM

the more i think about it the more it makes sense. it is bondo. the bubles area all exactly the same size and displacement from eachother. the guy who sold it to me said it had bondo behind the doors so i just wasnt familliar with what bondo work can look like. i cant afford to have it fixed, its going need a lot of new metal to replace the bondo. the quarterpanals arnt as bad as i thought they were they are pretty solid from what the guy said but no one likes the bondo on this car lol.. i hope i get some real contract work in soon so i have money to fix it up.. but the next thing i wanted to purchase was a supercharger which cost $2500 plus maybe another grand to have somone install it!