I'm thinking about selling my 67 for a 69 former show car

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I'm thinking about selling my 67 for a 69 former show car

Allright here's the deal. I'm seriously thinking about selling my 67 RS/SS which is a 4N car built in the LA plant. It's totally restored, runs excellent, and everything works including the RS headlights which are now run electrically instead of by vaccum. The 69 I am thinking about has a little history to it. It was assembled in February of 69 in the same LA plant. It has a 350 cubic inch engine, Turbo Hydra-matic 350 transmission, 3.08 rear axle, air conditioning, power steering, power disc brakes, center console with gauges, tinted glass, exterior trip group & spoilers. It was painted with 25 coats of hand rubbed R-M Ebony Black lacquer. It has a House of Kolor pink & purple over a pure white base and & PPG white toner stripe running along the side. Finally, the side marker light trim, rear light trim & bumpers were de-chromed and painted using the same R-M Ebony black lacquer. The original trim around the windows was retained and a black radio mast was installed. I like this 69, but I'm not sure if the accent stripe would bother me later down the road. The cars has won “Best Camaro” at the 1995 L.A. Super Chevy Show, and “Editors Choice” at the 2005 New England Super Chevy Show at N.E. Dragway. I would be affraid to change anything to it. It also was in Hot Rod magazine and on the ARP boxes. It has Dart heads, TRW forged pistons, Eagle cam, Stainless Steel valves, Melling high volume oil pump, Cloyes roller timing chain, Balanced and Blueprinted, etc, etc.
The transmission is a TH-350 rebuilt by Darrell Young Racing Transmissions of Sun Valley Ca. using the best parts available, including a 2800 rpm stall converter along with a shift kit.
Any thoughts......and would you change anything to the car ? Thanks

See attached photos.

Name:  69camarowithmagentasideaccents.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  69camaroenginebay.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  69camarowithaccent.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  4.5 KB

my 67

Name:  2011worldofwheels016.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  76.9 KB

Old 04-04-2011, 06:48 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

i would keep the 67. there are way to many 69s out there. no matter what show i go to i end up seeing a ton of 69s and maybe only a few 67 and 68's and to me i like the look better of the 7's and 8's. also the 67 had factory electric motors for the rs headlights. they went to the vaccum in 68 because the 67 motors would go out quickly. also you have a great looking 67. the only thing i would change is lower it a little bit the pics make it look like it sits really high

Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Oh, not another 69.....yawn!!!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 PM

Keep the 67. I'm more of a purist and your 67 is dead on to what I like. My opinion I don't like that strip on the 69. Kind of reminds me of something you would see in the 80's. Makes me want to put neon shoelaces in my high tops.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Screw it....you only live once! So what is a 4N Car (327), was there another plant in L.A. other than the Van Nuys plant and did you have electric/vacuum thing backwards because 67's were the only year with electric headlight motors? Why do you refer to your 4N car as a 67 SS/RS instead of just a 67 Camaro? Put all the bells and whistles you want on it isn't a SS/RS, it wasn't one yesterday and it won't be one tomorrow.

Your 67 looks okay...and for those who might feel I'm being kind of pricklish, I'm just being frank. I feel I am entitled to not blow smoke up your tail pipe since I have an original 67 SS/RS.

If all your 67 has going for it is a cowl hood, z-stripes, non-original front spoiler and working hide and SS Grill with a $15.00 repro SS350 badge on it I'd probably make the jump to a pumped out 69. Where is the RS Rocker Trim or the Antenna? Much like Camaroboy68 says, what up with the ride height? It looks like I could stick a basketball between the fender lip and the top of the tires?

Does your 67 have a lot of options: fold-down, adjustable steering wheel, air conditioning i.e. anything special?

As well what type of suspension system, engine set up or mods are your 67? It looks like you have aftermarket front discs, 16's TTII's in the back and 15 x7's in the front, maybe some wheel hop bars on the back is that about right?

That 69 looks like a well defined bicep....straight up muscle and would eat your 67 as if it were Popcorn Shrimp. As I always say, and you can't go wrong with either end of the first gen stick, it's the one in the middle I'm not too crazy about (sorry Camaroboy) ...guess I'm just a die hard wing window guy for that particular body style.

If the back corners of your hood stick up (hard to tell from the pics) slightly loosen the back bolts, then loosen the front bolts lower and rest the hood on your head and lift the front of the hinge all the way up then bolt it down, your hood corners will come down and line up with your fenders. So how much are you going to ask for your 67 if go to sell it? Personally, if I showed up at your house, and your ride was advertised as a SS/RS...I'd thank you for the laugh and head on down the road.

Do whatever gets you excited to get behind the wheel, that's what really counts!

Last edited by shevrolay; 04-04-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:40 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

hey i like the wing window too but you cant beat a good deal on a first gen when u see one. if i had that 69 the purple would be gone first thing. if it were red or blue i might keep it and then chrome bumbers would be going back on it because black cars need to have shiny chrome to make it pop

Old 04-05-2011, 07:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm kind of with shevrolay in that it would be an upgrade in investment and I'm sure more money.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by shevrolay
Screw it....you only live once! So what is a 4N Car (327), was there another plant in L.A. other than the Van Nuys plant and did you have electric/vacuum thing backwards because 67's were the only year with electric headlight motors? Why do you refer to your 4N car as a 67 SS/RS instead of just a 67 Camaro? Put all the bells and whistles you want on it isn't a SS/RS, it wasn't one yesterday and it won't be one tomorrow.

Your 67 looks okay...and for those who might feel I'm being kind of pricklish, I'm just being frank. I feel I am entitled to not blow smoke up your tail pipe since I have an original 67 SS/RS.

If all your 67 has going for it is a cowl hood, z-stripes, non-original front spoiler and working hide and SS Grill with a $15.00 repro SS350 badge on it I'd probably make the jump to a pumped out 69. Where is the RS Rocker Trim or the Antenna? Much like Camaroboy68 says, what up with the ride height? It looks like I could stick a basketball between the fender lip and the top of the tires?

Does your 67 have a lot of options: fold-down, adjustable steering wheel, air conditioning i.e. anything special?

As well what type of suspension system, engine set up or mods are your 67? It looks like you have aftermarket front discs, 16's TTII's in the back and 15 x7's in the front, maybe some wheel hop bars on the back is that about right?

That 69 looks like a well defined bicep....straight up muscle and would eat your 67 as if it were Popcorn Shrimp. As I always say, and you can't go wrong with either end of the first gen stick, it's the one in the middle I'm not too crazy about (sorry Camaroboy) ...guess I'm just a die hard wing window guy for that particular body style.

If the back corners of your hood stick up (hard to tell from the pics) slightly loosen the back bolts, then loosen the front bolts lower and rest the hood on your head and lift the front of the hinge all the way up then bolt it down, your hood corners will come down and line up with your fenders. So how much are you going to ask for your 67 if go to sell it? Personally, if I showed up at your house, and your ride was advertised as a SS/RS...I'd thank you for the laugh and head on down the road.

Do whatever gets you excited to get behind the wheel, that's what really counts!
Well, I guess this is the kind of response I should expect when I ask for opinions. As for the (4N), my car is a real RS/SS with a 396/325 4sp. Also had the fold down rear seat. I don't have the rs rocker trim on it and didn't want to drill holes in the new rear quarters for a antenna. It has the z22 option on the trim tag along with the 396/325 4 speed I referred to. No, it's not a clone. The 350 emblem in the grill is there because the 396 is out of the car. I'm currently running a beefed up 350 LT1 motor in it. As far as being able to fit a basketball between the fender and wheel, I still have the big block springs in it. I didn't see the point of changing them because the big block will be going back in. If you showed up at my house and told me my car wasn't an RS/SS, I would simply kick your *** and thank you for the laugh !

Old 04-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Keep your car then. There is a value gap between a nicely done up car, a nicely done car with the original engine, and a nicely done SS with the original big block. As these cars keep getting older and older, original numbers matching cars will keep getting more and more valuable. Now, if you're just after what floats your boat, and not a care about future value, then go with the 69 if that's what appeals more to you.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:39 PM

I have always had cars because I liked them. It was a bonus if anyone else liked them. The '69 would be my choice. I have a '69 restomod so that car fits my taste. I do like your car but mainly if you put the 396 back in. I like the big blocks. I also like the cars that I can change up and do what I like. I steer away from all original cars because you are destined to stay on the path of originality, and let's face it, there are a lot of cool things that have come about in the last 40 years! If money is not the issue, then I would send your car packing and get that '69 in the garage. See, there's another opinion.....either way, you will end up with a cool ride.
Tabascoboy

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about selling my 67 for a 69 former show car