holley carb...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Default holley carb...

I have a holley street avenger 680 and its been nothing but problems. I have been through it twice. The carb will not hold a consistent idle. When you drive it wants to stall out. Does anybody have this carb and if so have you had these problems. Is there any fix for this

Old 08-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Are the float levels ok?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 PM

yeah the floats are good

Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What engine? Is the choke set right? What kind of fuel pump and filter? Does it make a difference whether the engine is hot or cold?

Old 08-30-2011, 12:59 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

i have a holley on a 355 small block in a 55 chevy and i too have had nothing but problems. ive blown out powervales and the thing wont keep running. also family has had nothing but problems with holleys so i would recomend throwing said carb into trash. i fixed the 55's problem by swithin to tri power

ps im really bias on feelings for holley so dont take what i say to heart. im extreamly po'ed because i cant get the thing to run either.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I agree completely, throw the Holley in the trash. But instead, for feel-good ecology reasons, I'll send you my address to where you can send the carb, and I'll "dispose" of it properly.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:17 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by ssnowden1982
I have a holley street avenger 680 and its been nothing but problems. I have been through it twice. The carb will not hold a consistent idle. When you drive it wants to stall out. Does anybody have this carb and if so have you had these problems. Is there any fix for this
Can you give me the numbers on the horn?

What is your fuel pressure?
What is your manifold vacuum at idle in PARK?
Which # power valve?
What primary Jets are you running?
What secondary Jets are you running?
What is the squirter number?
Did you loose the check ball under the squirter?
Did you use the correct gasket for the base plate? The trick kit gives you several that will "fit", but you have to use the one for your specific carb. The rest you throw away. (Unless you have another carb your saving them for).
How do you know you used the correct gasket?

This should get us moving in the right direction.

If you want a quicker answer, call the guys at Holley. http://holley.com

Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 PM
2nd Gear member

BTW, love my Holley! They are pretty simple and straight forward. And there is no excuse for anyone to ever blow a power valve again since Holley addressed that issue.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

well i did blow them and the thing runs like garbage. so three rochester 2gcs will be going on the car.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 AM
2nd Gear member

Hey Camaroboy,

I can certainly understand your frustration. You weren't alone prior to 1992 when a backfire through the carb could take out your power valve. Since 1992, that's just not the case anymore.

http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...wer_valves.pdf

When I first started my engine, I blew a flame about 2 foot tall and had several smaller burps before I got my timing dialed in a bit closer and it didn't hurt the carb one bit.

Growing up poor, I've had plenty of Rochesters because that's what most cars came from the factory with, and I actually got pretty good at tuning them. Then we went to Carter, so when I finally got a Holley, I was kind of afraid of them. Not anymore... I simply cannot believe how simple they are.

Hey, tri power is way cooler than a single carb anyway!

Quick Reply: holley carb...