Help out a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Default Help out a newbie

Hey everyone, I am trying to buy a second car that is not my daily driver.

Ive always loved the 69 camaro's almost my dream car. And i was looking around and found this car. Please keep in mind that I am not a guru when it comes to restoration projects. I work on my car right now that is a 02' z28. But I would like everyone else's opinion before I drive down there and look at the car myself. Any suggestions as to what to look for and tips would be appreciated.

I am looking for a car that i myself dont have to put a whole lot of money or work into just to have fun in the summer weather. Also I am not very particular on the authenticity of the vehicle so even if its a replica it would not bother me. Just need a good reliable car

1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS, $19,000 - Cars.com

I contacted the seller and got a better description of the vehicle along with a ton of pictures. if you guys need it just let me know. But here is the extended description he emailed me.

1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS396. This Camaro has less than 25 miles since a complete rotisserie, nut & bolt restoration.

This is the kind of car that the closer that you look then the better you like it. The stance is perfect. The wheels are custom one off wheels with Yokohama 225/40R18’s front and 245/40R20’s on the rear. The red Corvette brake calipers and 12” drilled rotors look great through the wheels.

The engine is a 1969 Camaro 396/375hp motor block #3955272 4-bolt main. The engine pad has been decked so there is no VIN number on the engine pad, resulting in no way to prove that this is the original motor to this Camaro. Nevertheless it is a correct 396/375 hp motor and we will go from there. This motor was completely rebuilt from the ground up to original specs including solid lifters, and with correct components. The motor runs strong however it has not been leaned on because of the low miles. It has the correct Winters aluminum intake # 3933163 with a correct Holley 4bbl carburetor. It also is trimmed correctly with all GM hoses, wires, hose clamps, and chrome valve covers and breather.

The Interior is just plain old stock Camaro interior, however clean and neat. The speedometer works and so does the fuel gauge and turn signals. The AM radio does not work.

We have only put a few test miles on the car and it drives straight and true down the road and it feels real strong. The clutch feels perfect and it shifts smooth. The brakes stop exceptionally well of course since they are Corvette calipers on 12” drilled and slotted rotors.
This is a real SS396 Camaro with a real 396/375hp engine in it. It is restored about as nice as possible.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Well it sure looks great in the pictures, definitely worth a look. Being a rotisserie resto, the body should look like new, top to bottom. Spend a lot of time going over it with a fine tooth comb, and a magnet to make sure there's no excessive filler/shoddy bodywork. If it's as nice as the seller describes, he's asking a fair price for what it is.
Take a look at this link for trim tag info: 1969 Camaro Trim Tag Information. Check the tag and make sure it has the SS396 code (X22 or X66).

Old 04-25-2014, 04:14 AM

hey thanks for the quick response. Here is some additional info i forgot to add in the post. also i have a quick question, I have never driven an older car from that generation and I see that it has a 4 speed tranny. Would it be safe to use it for highway/interstate driving around 55 or 60 mph? Or would i be damaging it?

1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS

VIN: 124379N600326
Mileage: 19,826 miles
Warranty: No
Condition: Used
For sale by: Dealer

Features
Body type: Coupe
Engine: 8 - Cyl. Cylinder
Exterior color: Black
Transmission: Manual
Fuel type: Gasoline
Interior color: Black

1969 Chevy Camaro SS396
Original Big Block Camaro (X66)
396/375 HP
Muncie 4-Speed
4-Wheel Disc Brakes
Tuxedo Black PPG
Super High Quality
Rotisserie Restoration
Enjoy!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It will be perfectly fine on the highway, unless it has 3.73~4.11 rear gears which will negatively affect gas mileage. Just know that these cars don't have the same comfort level that you are accustomed to with the newer cars.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Something doesn't sound right to me... a "nut & bolt" rotisserie restored car for only $19K ??? from a dealer???

I don't believe it.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by 77thor
Something doesn't sound right to me... a "nut & bolt" rotisserie restored car for only $19K ??? from a dealer???

I don't believe it.
i felt the same way. like i said in my original post, i am not very keen on authenticity I am really just going for looks and reliability.

But if you have any suggestions as to any tips and tricks to make sure I wont walk into scam, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
It will be perfectly fine on the highway, unless it has 3.73~4.11 rear gears which will negatively affect gas mileage. Just know that these cars don't have the same comfort level that you are accustomed to with the newer cars.
Hey do you also feel there is something fishy about the low asking price? In your previous post you said the seller is asking for a "fair price". Because I was pretty surprised to see this car priced this low.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Lets assume that the car is not number matching for a second.

A 1969 Camaro is decent shape with a big block and Muncie 4 speed and a 12 bolt rear that needs restoration is worth how much? 11-14K depending on condition. Then you do a complete nut and bolt restoration (about 35k?) or if you do all the work about 8-12K in parts and 18-24 month working 15 hours a week. Another 5K in the motor, slap on it what looks like a $8,000 paint job now through $2500 in rims and tires on it. As soon as you done list it for 19K.

Number matching big blocks are still selling 40K range. A "prove me wrong" type car is worth 30K minimum.

IF its real you are already too late. There was guys driving to that car cash in hand within hours. If it still there in 24 hours I call total BS!

Last edited by Gorn; 04-25-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by viseshv
But if you have any suggestions as to any tips and tricks to make sure I wont walk into scam, I would greatly appreciate it.
Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Being a rotisserie resto, the body should look like new, top to bottom. Spend a lot of time going over it with a fine tooth comb, and a magnet to make sure there's no excessive filler/shoddy bodywork
"Fine Tooth Comb"....make sure it wasn't a "Ron Popeil" type of rotisserie job!