Help!! Dads Birthday Ideas 1967 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Default Help!! Dads Birthday Ideas 1967 350

Im looking at surprising my dad for his birthday and sprucing up his 67 SS that just sits in the garage really. It has a old 350 in it that's untouched and im looking at giving it a little more power. I already ordered a 3" header back exhaust system but im a young gun and ive never worked with carbs and the air/fuel system on these so im looking for advice on which setup to go with for a carb and a intake manifold. The motor is non modified and has the original cam and exhaust manifolds etc etc. Can anyone help me out with suggestions?? He wants to keep the original hood so I want something that will give him plenty of power later on in case he wants to up the cam later and still keep the original hood.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear member

It depends on your budget .And just how "stock." you want to keep the car. At the very least give the car a tune up. Then you could step up and add a Eldelbrock Performer intake manifold. And if it wants to keep it looking "stock" you paint it engine color. The original carb can be taken off checked and rebuilt if necessary.. Later on you add electronic ignition by using a Pertronix conversion kit the same time the distributor is rebuilt. Or use an MSD distributor .And hide the electronic box. they sky the limit for camshafts.He could go with a hydraulic or hydraulic roller cam. and valve train .And with all the Tech available for small block ts just how far he wants he and his pocket book wants to go .And still keep it looking stock.Have fun.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:28 PM

oh it will be me mostly for buying this. As far as the engine looking stock were not too worried about it, just the exterior is what we wanted to keep the look of a stock Camaro. I was however going to paint the manifold to match. So you're saying just keep the stock carb? Will it dispense enough air and fuel to the engine if later on I want to change the cam?

Old 06-26-2017, 09:06 PM
2nd Gear member

What Carb is on it?

Old 06-26-2017, 10:30 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zspoiler
What Carb is on it?
Should be a cast iron intake and a quadrajet,first year 350 and only came in Camaro SS, L48 295hp.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:34 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joem1967
oh it will be me mostly for buying this. As far as the engine looking stock were not too worried about it, just the exterior is what we wanted to keep the look of a stock Camaro. I was however going to paint the manifold to match. So you're saying just keep the stock carb? Will it dispense enough air and fuel to the engine if later on I want to change the cam?
I would worry about changing the intake and carb later when you do the cam, what intake and carb you get should be a match with the cam and any other mods you do like head work. No need for anything more than what it has now just to go with the headers.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear member

You can Tune a Q -jet to what ever tune you want. Its a little more difficult than a Holley .But it can be done. Think of the NHRA "Super Stock" race cars of that era.Or put that away along with the intake.And put the carb of your choice.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Your dad has an all-original 67 Camaro SS and you want to put headers and aftermarket replacement parts on it? I'm going to be a total wet blanket on this one and say that is a horrible idea.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by arocars
Your dad has an all-original 67 Camaro SS and you want to put headers and aftermarket replacement parts on it? I'm going to be a total wet blanket on this one and say that is a horrible idea.
I would at least keep all the OEM parts so it can be put back original, true that original 1st year SS Camaros are few and far between. If you want to hot rod it at some point maybe even consider pulling that rare '67 L48 350 and setting it aside so it doesn't possibly get destroyed. Buy a crate engine or get a 4 bolt main truck 350 and build that assuming your car still has the original motor anyway. Do you know if it's a matching numbers car?

Old 06-29-2017, 09:54 AM
4th Gear Member

Why not buy/rent/have a detailer and have them wash/clean/wax the whole Camaro?