Heater core 68 Camaro- non AC car

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 06:26 PM
Default Heater core 68 Camaro- non AC car

Hello members- I am a new member and my question is for a friend's car. Has anyone had experience with the degree of bend on the heater core hose lines? I just purchased a replacement heater core and the bend is so severe it doesn't appear I can attach the hoses. The lines are touching or extremely close to the heater box on the firewall. I'd like to know if there are any special modifications required or if this is normally a very tight fit. -thanks

Old 12-15-2017, 08:09 AM
4th Gear Member

Welcome, Neasb, to the Club Correct year
Very common malady when buying from local parts store.
First choice is fixing the old core if original to the Camaro,
Second choice is buying a known brand with nipples close to where they should be.
Most Camaro parts source are aware of these.
Heartbeat City might have a replacement original.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the info Everett#2390. I just learned my friend was able to bend the hose nipples into position. We have a few other things to fix while the wheel well is out. Hopefully no leaks at startup.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:16 PM
4th Gear Member

You're welcome.
Good, and good luck with no leaking nipples.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:32 PM

I agree with Everett as far as repairing the original. I have had good luck finding exact replacements but I stay away from aluminum repro's. Most of the originals that leaked were minor and only needed a good cleaning and soldering. They are mostly brass! Some cautions to beware of is cleaning them before repair and most OTC radiator flushes do work but they also eat away at the copper alloy in brass so don't soak them too long. The inside is what you want cleaned and make sure you flush them in the reverse of the factory flow. Outside cleaning is fine but only where the leak is. No one will see it but if you try soldering without proper surface prep it may not seal or come back. As far as the replacement you purchased the tubes should be nearly identical to the original as long as you ordered the SB or BB that you needed. Try to return the improper if there is still time. If the new core matches you could swap out the tubes with a propane torch but if you are not familiar with brass soldering, practice, practice... Good luck! PS: if the original is a Harrison, rebuild it! If you do go with a replacement, stick with Made in USA

Old 01-11-2018, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I just did that and the original was in some pretty sad shape. The AM replacement went in okay. DON'T remove the fender and heater box crap, just spend the extra 2 hrs trying to fit that little bastard though the holes.
The prior owner of my car didn't have the heater box on all the way against the firewall (on the inside) and when I finally got things to go in place, it was crazy that it went right in. Now, I've got to get my son to swing by as the inside box needs to be pushed against the firewall to get the speed nuts on the outside. Then, I can install the motor again. =)