headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:37 AM
Default headers

Hello
I am trying to find a set of headers for my 1969 396 camaro. I would like a set semi short for ground clearance plus 2 inch primarys. I am using a flowmaster exhaust system.Any help would be much appriciated

Regards

Colin

Old 05-20-2007, 11:05 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: headers

Welcome to the forum, post up some pic's when you have a chance and give us some details. You might have better luck posting in the 1st generation section or Intake, Headers and Exhaust. Look around, have fun and vote for the ride of the month.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:53 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Welcome to the forums Colin. We try to stay away from asking questions like this in the new member area so I moved this to the First gen section. You will have a better chance of getting an answer here anyways. You could also try the wanted/classified section as well.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 AM
3rd Gear Member

a 2" primary is a pretty standard size for a big-block chevy header so that won't be a problem. when selecting a header the best place to start, is by looking at flange thickness. this is usually going to be your biggest factor when it comes to avoiding leaks. with this being said, I like Hooker's headers.

even if you have a decent drop in your suspension their headers work fine

if you are looking for the absolute best, you can go with a Hooker Super Comp header but you pay for quality and this will run you just under 5 bills. as long as you don't have power steering or head studs instead of bolts (it will still work with studs after a little grinding),this is a perfect fit.

if you have power steering, you will need to clear you lines coming out of your box so you should go with Hooker Comps instead. their steel goes from 18 gage for the Super to 16 gage for these but unless you are driving in the salt, this doesn't really come into play as a problem. other than maybe having to dimple the tube next to your steering box, depending on your engine mounts, these are also as perfect a fit as you can get from a header company, and as these are on the underside of $200 they are a nice deal for what you are getting.

hope this helps you out a little

Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 AM
May 2007 ROTM

Another vote on the hooker headers, They are a great fit I have used them for years on a gew different GM cars from the 60's to late 80's. Also get a heat sheild for your starter. And welcome to the forum, post up some pic's.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks for your help.I have had a set of Hooker Super Comps on car but have had ground clearance problems.Finding 2 inch primaries is a problem. The closest i can find is Sanderson BB2 Blockhuggers with 1-7/8. Thanks again.

Regards
Colin

Old 05-21-2007, 06:39 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

1969SS, thanks for that responce. I totally misunderstood the question. Nice save.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:11 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Try Custom Exhaust Specialties, they will build just about anything. Pricey but good.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: colin

Thanks for your help.I have had a set of Hooker Super Comps on car but have had ground clearance problems.Finding 2 inch primaries is a problem. The closest i can find is Sanderson BB2 Blockhuggers with 1-7/8. Thanks again.

Regards
Colin
how low is your car? mine has a 2" drop and I have no problems and I've put a few in stock height cars with no problems whatsoever. also, why are you so set on the 2" primarys? if your 396 isn't that far from stock, you are losing a lot of lowend with the bigger tubes. it is a concern with oversized exhaust and losing backpressure, so just think about it, if you don't have enough backpressure coming right out of the block, your torque numbers are going to suffer

just a thought

Old 05-22-2007, 01:23 PM
May 2007 ROTM

What size rim/tire up front? and how soft are the shocks?

Quick Reply: headers