Hard start/dieseling advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Hard start/dieseling advice

Ok... sorry for another newbie question, but the more i understand and know about the car the more i love everything about it. So here's what i'm seeing... when i turn the key i can hear it cranking but unless i hit the gas pedal a few times it won't fire right up. Also, randomly when i shut the car off, it will turn over a couple more times (dieseling i believe is the term), it doesn't do it every single time, haven't driven it enough to fully understand when it usually happens.... so i'm asking, can anyone give me some simple starting points to figure out these issues, and work from there? thanks in advance, i've learned a LOT from this forum and from youtube!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:19 AM
2nd Gear member

what carburetor do you have ? is it new or old? ever been rebuilt?
what is the timing set at?
it sounds like a carb problem to me

Old 11-05-2014, 08:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

it's a holley 4 barrell, that's all i know so far. How do i find out exactly which Holley it is? I've only owned the car for 2 weeks so be easy on me! Also, no clue on the timing, how do i find this out? The car has a mild cam to it, i do know that much. It doesn't diesel all the time though.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Tech Droid

Hard starting could be that the choke is not working properly, however you need to press on the gas pedal once to allow the choke to set.
Dieseling could be due to many things, such as the idle being set too high, hot spots or carbon in the combustion chamber, too hot spark plug heat range, anything that allows the engine to run on compression without spark.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Carbureted engines are different from fuel injected. As Pete said, you have to give the gas pedal a pump to the floor to set the choke. Doing so also makes the carb squirt some gas (prime) down the intake manifold. Some engines want more than one pump of the gas pedal to get it going. Mine for instance takes about a half a dozen pumps, but my carbs don't have a choke. Practice with yours. Start with one pump, if that doesn't quite do the trick, go with two, and so on. With the run-on issue, it could be timing, could also be that your choke isn't opening all the way once the engine is warm. Take the air cleaner off after it's warmed up and see what position the choke butterfly is in.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:44 AM
4th Gear Member

As suggetsed by everybody, carb has to work correctly.
When cold, as in sitting over night, one jab of the gas pedal should set the choke plate closed and sets fast idle, aka, 1200-1500 rpm.
When the engine starts, the choke pull-off should slightly open the choke plate allowing the engine to smooth out in operation.
Once warm, or after 90-120 seconds, the choke may be fully open - especially if the carb has electric choke - a good option to install if it doesn't have one.
Once engine is hot, choke open, engine should be smooth.

If engine is dieseling, or running on, after turned off, then curb idle is set too high and initial timing may be set too far retarded.

The idea is close the throttle plates reducing fuel/air flow, and having plenty of advaced initial timing preventing combustion chamber hot spots igniting the incoming fuel/air charge.

If all else fails, turn off Camaro with trans in gear.