Is this a good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Default Is this a good buy?

Hello, I am currently interested in buying myself a 1st gen Camaro, obviously, and I have found one that is around my area that looks decent.. my father owned four growing up (along with every other friggen car you can imagine) but his favorite was always the 1st gen Camaro.. anyway, here is the description of the car: " I have a 1968 Chevy Camaro. The interior is no good, but I do have just about everything you need to restore it. There was a little rust in the trunk and front floor pans. The drivers side has been cut and replaced. A new trunk pan runs about 75.00. The vehicle has been sitting for over four years, so you will need to go through the motor. The motor is a 350 that runs and has racing cam, an accel ignition system, headers, and everything is eledbrock. It has a four speed muncie transmission. All the new parts that I have for it are as follows: carpet, headliner, door panels, front and rear dash panels, rear panels, rear head panels, all new exterior marker lights and crome housing, new parking lights, both bumpers, new cowl induction hood, rear spoiler, front lower spoiler, head light bezels, rear side window moldings, both front inner wheel wells, new breaks, new brake master cylinder, two new mufflers, and some other things I'm probably forgetting. The parts alone are worth $3000 and do come with the car. The car is drivable, but would need to be trailered."

Here are some pictures of the car as well:

The body appears to be almost perfect.. and the engine, although needs to be cleaned and went through, is "supposidly" solid without any problems. Here is the hardest job.. which the guy says he has almost all the parts to fix that he will throw in with the car:

I can't help but just look in awe at just how god damn great these things really are. Anyway, I am willing to give him 9k for everything + the parts and he seems to agree.. so is this a good buy in your perspective? Aside from the cutting and welding of the truck and floorboards, is much **hard** work needed to be done? (I really.. really don't want to hire a mechanic.)

Thanks for your opinions and perspectives.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Is this a good buy?

ide say it looks like all the hard work is done...like floors and the trunk arent really a huge deal becouse they dont have to look pretty ...just cut it out and weld a new pice in. cuz they are gonna be coverd by a carpet anyway so just make them solid

Old 09-11-2007, 06:11 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Seems ok. I would look at the rest of the body for rust. I found out the hard way - rust free usually means free of visible rust.Keep us posted.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

I would really be hesitant on this one. why would you do all that outer bodywork and leave the rest of the car rusted out like that?

I don't care what he says, I'm sure he took major shortcuts when he painted it and it will show in a shorttime. that is why he is selling it now, before it comes through.

things aren't always what they appear on the surface. pun intended