Getting Ready / Searching

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Default Getting Ready / Searching

So I just realized that I caught the bug! Haven’t been diagnosed yet, but the early symptoms are clear. Hoping you guys can provide some insight so I can get through this. Great forum, BTW, lots of good information floating around.

I am in the planning stages for a first-gen rebuild. I would like to find a 1969 SS rolling chassis that I can restore the body and install a new crate and tranny. Yes, I know this isn’t going to be cheap or easy.

What is the best way to go about finding a project car? I’ve been searching the classifieds but have not found anything yet. Should I take out an add? Any suggestions on the search?

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Default RE: Getting Ready / Searching

So I've been investigating my options...

What would be wrong with buying a flood or theft recovery vehicle and completely restoring it? I can't imagine any problems mechanically that could slip by. As for value, if it's a rebuilt (from the frame up) classic with new drivetrain, etc., can the tarnished title really harm the finished value?

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:20 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I wouldnt think anything would be wrong with that. The value shouldnt be effected as long as its a good rebuild job. Flood repair might be extensive though, there are ALOT of metal parts that can rust on the 1st gens.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:45 AM
3rd Gear Member

I don't know how many you would find with those conditions met. if you are going to restore the whole thing, what do you care if it's been stolen or flooded before?

just a little F.Y.I. though, a lot of times with cars that old, a lot of insurance companies don't even bother with salvage titles (or whatever thet are called around you locally) because book on these cars are next to nothing, so you will almost always have a clean title