General Advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Default General Advise

I'm a brand new member and would greatly appreciate your input.

I just purchased a 1969 Camaro RS Coupe. No rust, body is straight, enigine is now 350 with I believe a column shift 3 spd trans. It has a black deluxe interior with power windows, tilt wheel, rosewood dash, and rear defroster. Interior needs work and exterior is primer.

I was planning to restore fully to a pro-touring car with crate motor but looking at all the money I would spend I was questioning whether not not to start off with a SS/RS or Z-28 and do a back to stock restoration.

My questions: Is it worth to dump this much money in a RS car? What does everyone think of a pro-touring Camrao.....is it something that not very desired?

Also, what engine come in a Camaro RS, 327? or 350? or both?

Do you know what kind of transmission I have based on the description above and is it worthwhile to keep?

Thanks for your input in advance. [/align]

Old 05-24-2007, 01:18 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: General Advise

how could you buy the car and not know if you have a 3 speed column shift or not?

the body is in primer? how do you know it is really straight? primer hides EVERYTHING

I'm all for pro-touring and yes it is expensive, but to get a real RS/SS or Z-28 your costs would be much, much more. do the car the way you want and don't worry about stock if it is that far away right now

Old 05-24-2007, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

The way your wording the post are you building to keep for your own enjoyment or building to sell for profit?

Personally, I think the pro-touring look is passing. Another "fad" will take shape soon enough.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sorry the post wasn't more clear.

It has a 3 speed column shift trans but I just haven't read or heard much about them.

I bought it from a friend and saw the body before it was primered.

I will keep it the car after it is done. Based on what I wanted to spend on the restoration verusus some of the cars I've seen (SS, RS/SS, Z28) I could buy one that was alreay retsored.

Just wanted someone elses point of view.

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2007, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Then build what you want, not what's popular. What is popular now may not be in 5,10,15 years. Fads come and go but your own style is always your style.

One reason I went with a stock look but pure evil under the hood. "Speak softly and carry a big stick" so to speak.