Disk brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 11:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Disk brake conversion

68 Camaro, original 4 wheel DRUM brakes. Wanting to convert the whole system over to DISK. Been looking at kits from JEGS & SUMMIT RACING.
Kits are rather confusing as far as the parts supplied. Anyone done this job with positive results.

Also I have Crager old school SS wheels on 14" tires. Would like to keep these wheels, but all of the kits require 15" wheels minimum.

Old 03-15-2022, 10:27 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I thin with 14” wheels you are limited to the stock GM system GM used on the early Camaro/Novas. But honestly if your current drum brakes are a problem I really don’t think those tiny rotors can be considered a solution. Once you step to 15 inch rims you are talking the same brakes used on the Caprice through the late 80’s.

As for the back brakes I do not think GM ever did rear disk brakes on car that came with 14 inch rims. They may be some that fit. Maybe the rear disks off a late second gen Z28 will fit but I can’t say I know anyone that has done it. Seems like a lot of work and money for very little return. Also keep in mind that drum master cylinders are different then rotor. The drum master is design to keep a small amount of pressure in the brake line at all times. Brake rotor systems can not have that pressure, it will cause overheating. You would also need an adjustable proportioning valve if you do not have a standard configuration.

Old 03-15-2022, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG
68 Camaro, original 4 wheel DRUM brakes. Wanting to convert the whole system over to DISK. Been looking at kits from JEGS & SUMMIT RACING.
Kits are rather confusing as far as the parts supplied. Anyone done this job with positive results.

Also I have Crager old school SS wheels on 14" tires. Would like to keep these wheels, but all of the kits require 15" wheels minimum.
So, my '68 has Centerlines, with 14" in front and 15" rear. Here is a picture of early application of disk brakes for the 14" fronts:

We are mid-restoration so I can't comment on "positive results" but I drove this car every day for five or six years back when it was still young, and I always felt front brakes were a weak link. So, once I have the restoration in hand, I'll be able to comment from the perspective of "both kinds on the same car". I will launch a query to the restoration shop to find out where they came up with this conversion kit, but they tend to take their time in answering questions so it may be awhile. In any event, they found them, and they fit:

Old 03-16-2022, 12:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the info. My Son has been bugging me to get this done. ( He really likes spending MY $$$ on a car he will get when I croak!). I have set aside enough cash for the brake conversion, but not new wheels & tires. So, if I do the conversion, the car will be sitting on jack stands for awhile.
The SST's are hard to come by, so they may be worth something to someone. Limited though in that they are 14".

Old 03-16-2022, 05:49 AM
2nd Gear member

Check out CPP Brakes. I used them on my car and really like the stuff they offer.
Here is a comment they made about 14" and 15" brakes:

Improve the stopping power of your car while retaining your vehicles stock ride height. The early Nova kit works with 14" disc brake type wheels and maintains the DRUM brake offset. The later Nova and Camaro kit works with most 15" wheels and moves the wheels out 7/16". Installation requires no modifications to your car's stock suspension. Kits include rotors, brackets, loaded calipers, bearings, seals, dust caps, and hoses. The #6267SWBK-S kit also includes 5-lug drum brake spindles and steering arms and the later Nova and Camaro kits include disc brake spindles and dust shields. *Shown with optional upgraded rotors.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I got the Right Stuff drum to disc conversion kit (power) for 14" rims (I have 14" mags). Plug & play install, works WAY better than drum. $600 from Summit

Kit includes rotors, calipers, pads, mounting bracket (uses stock drum spindles), brake lines (soft), MC/distribution block, booster (9")

You need to slightly bend stock front hard lines and rear line to mate to new distribution block. Easy by hand. You need 2 adapter fittings/ 1 for front DS line to block and 1 rear line to block that are not included in kit but easily found from suppliers like Earls, Inline Tube, etc. for a few $

Old 03-19-2022, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Recommendation

Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG

OK, finally heard from my restoration shop. Here is what he recommends from Summit Racing:

He says he has used this kit on over 10 restorations and has never had reports of any issues. Hope this helps.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Not sure if you got your braked done yet or not but I did the front brakes and went with Wilwoods. I retained my 14" rally wheels and added a power brake booster and new master cylinder. I also got a new proportioning valve. The kit came with steel braided brake hoses. The kit delivered. Now when I go to stop I don't have to think much about it. It's like I am driving any newer car. The bite and I am pleased with my results. I got everything at Summit racing. Only thing is that the proportioning valve that comes with the kit is adjustable and I did not like that, I went with a standard one from Summit.

anyhow, hope this helpCheers!
Master/booster/proportioning valve/connecting lines (this will suffice for both brake kits listed below) - RSD-G91210971

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...base/year/1967

Disc brake conversion with Solid Surface rotors - WIL-140-15272-R

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-140-15272-r

Old 07-06-2022, 12:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

My mechanic, (Nephew), actually talked me out of the conversion. My Brother has a 63 Fairlane with drum brakes all around & it stops the car ok. He actually races it at Milan Dragway since it re-opened.
My Brother raced it at the old Detroit Dragway for many years.