Decisions...Decisions...Not 56k friendly

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Decisions...Decisions...Not 56k friendly

[:@] Man, I think I am just getting a bit too antsy. The more I look, the more I want to increase my budget. However, my budget sort of gets slammed when I find nice cars that are far away and would entail air fare and possibly shipping the car back...in the range of $1200 - $1500.

Here are two cars at the top of my budget...I mean buying either one of these gives me a $0 balance and would mean driving the car home...about 850 miles. They both have pluses and minuses about them. The asking price of both cars are within $1k of one another and the orange one's asking price is the lowest of the two.

This first one is basically done. The guy had a good bit of suspension work done on the car (see photo). He has put on 4 wheel disc, added air, and rack-and-pinion steering. The paint is a year old (house of colors tangerine, I believe), both quarters were replaced along with the driver's side wheel well, everything on the car works as it should, 5-speed, console with gauges, tic-toc-tac, interior is thought to be original. He did say that sometimes at night the gauges will flicker every now and then.

Not sure about the suspension, though. I might take it back more factory with a 12-bolt and multileafs.

Contender #2 looks to be an all original car with manual steering and drum brakes. Car is clean underneath (awaiting photos) and no rust (surface or otherwise) is reported. The body panels have their factory stamps and everything seems fine. On this car as well, everything works as it should. This car is also a 10-bolt and has single leafs. Glass is fine in both cars and I seem to recall that the window glass is original in both, but I do not remember about the windshield or back glass.

This car appears to have had one repaint and the original color is Grotto Blue. Lots of recent basic maintenance type work has been done to the car: new springs and shocks (front and back), new bushings all around, stereo, new grill, canister on passenger side, vacuum reservoir, windshield washer jar, new gas tank and sending unit (gas lines were flushed). They still have the original gas tank...pretty dirty from what they said. The engine has been rebuilt previously and has a 2K or so on the rebuild.

If I wanted to go get either one, I could do it at the end of month.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Decisions...Decisions...Not 56k friendly

Doc nice to see you're back but are both cars going for 56k ??? if they are i was at a car show 2 weeks ago and i believe it was a 68 for sale the guy was asking 28k and i thought that was a fair price ,,, reminds me of the time i was looking for my 56 , talking to a guy in florida another guy in minnesota and finally up in northern calif , i had never purchased a car over 20k before so i was a total wreck on my decision, buy it , don't buy it ,,,,,,,,, good luck Doc!!!!!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Replying the hard way

Old 07-30-2008, 11:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Replying the hard way

been tring for an hour to post a reply. forget it. will wait for this forum to fix itself

Old 07-30-2008, 11:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

You can always email me: drwhatley@hotmail.com

Old 07-30-2008, 11:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Weird, if the message is too long, then it won't post it.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

As far as appearnece, I really like that orange color with the black stripes. The wheels look alot nicer on that one to.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If the Orange one has the stuff you're wanting to do to the blue one then go for the orange one. Honestly no reason in paying more money for the blue one only to do the same thing to it that you could have by buying the orange one.