Clutch Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 09:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Clutch Pedal

Hello, the clutch in my 67 does not have a smooth operation when stepping on the clutch. It seems to bind a little bit whether the engine is running or not. My question is, can the pedal itself be lubricated or perhaps replace some sort of a bearing to remedy the issue? If lubricating is not ideal then replacement is the next choice, so how easy or difficult is it to replace the pedal? The brake pedal does works normally and does not have the same binding as the clutch.

Old 03-09-2022, 10:39 AM
1st Gear Member

It could be a couple things wrong.
  1. The clutch bellcrank could use some grease. There should be a grease nipple on the horizontal bar.
  2. Check under your dash to see if the clutch and brake pedal assembly is not loose. There are some white plastic bushings that could be warn. You can buy these and replace
  3. The pivot ***** and other bushings on the clutch bellcrank could be toast. There is a ball on the engine block and one at the subframe mount. There is a rebuild kit for the entire Z bark bellcrank.
  4. Check out all your linkages, clutch fork, spring, and pivot. Make sure it's operating smoothly. Replace as needed.
  5. If its none of the above, then you got to get into the bell housing and check out the clutch/pressure plate and all that.

Old 03-09-2022, 10:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks Turbo86, I will start with your list and see where it leads.
stay tuned

Old 03-09-2022, 08:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So here is what I have found...sigh.....

it seems the clutch pedal linkage is rubbing on the edge of the floorboard thus it has cut into the floorboard (that was the binding I was feeling when stepping on the clutch).
I think it could be that the clutch is poorly adjusted as the linkage is not only rubbing the floorboard but it is also touching the base of the exhaust manifold. The the pedal is pressed it pushes the fork backwards and that is when it rubs and has cut into the floorboard. The Spring that I believe should be connected to a bracket close to the exhaust manifold is connected to the pedal bracket as well. In either case, I think the wrong parts were used by the previous owner or whoever put this together.

Question now is - are the clutch pedal brackets the same size whether the car was originally a Big Block car or a Small Block? or Are they a different size if the car was originally a straight six or are they the same size? In all horror in finding this out I failed to take a picture

I will have to take pictures tomorrow

Old 03-09-2022, 08:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I was just online with Classic Industries and it loos like the linkage for a big block and a small block are different. it could be that the wrong kit was used on the car.

note the arrows below showing where the fork cut into the floor board and where the linkage is right up against the exhaust manifold.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah... you might have a bigger problem than you wanted. It looks like the clutch fork is hitting the floor and may not have anything to do with the linkage. It's almost like the fork is too long or the transmission does not quite fit. Did you do any research on the transmission? I can't tell if the tip of the fork or the top edge of the fork is hitting the floor. Have someone push in the clutch while your under the car. See what is going on, I think the fork is your problem.

As for the exhaust manifold location, you can adjust the nut and shorten the pin at the fork and back it off the manifold. This will pull your pedal in a little inside the car and shorten your throw. Looks like you only need an inch or two. Just make sure the spring is still nice and firm when making adjustments and the pin sits firmly in the end of the fork. Don't want that sucker to slip out.