Choke

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Default Choke

New here. I have a 69 Camaro that doesn't have the original engine. It has a 327. Some of the engine codes I have been able to retreive are CE8 2328 6 3892657. I have had the car since about 1990 but don't know that much about it. Bought it then and have kept it stored and drive it from time to time. Just recently got interested in finding out more about it and dealing with a few small issues.

The engine has no choke. It had a manual choke but wasn't well done so I removed it. I wired the cloke open and that has worked ok since I don't drive it much. In warm weather it fires up with a few pumps of the pedal. I was thinking about tring to add some kind of choke. The carb on the car has these numbers.

Holley List 6238-1 Holly 4150 GM 3997788-GB 233

Seems like a GM Holley? It is mated to a Weiand 8004 intake. There seems to be a slot in the intake for some type of choke coil. Wondering if an electric choke could be able to this model holley?

Do not want to change the topic and I can start a new post. The water temperature wire isn't connected so the gauge doesn't work. The 327 appears to have what someone said to me were the camel back heads. No port for a water temp gauge. The intake doesn't have what appears to be any ports to add a sensor as well. there is one under the elbow where the thermostat is. Not sure if I could get it in there. I have the sensor that was listed for the 350 that should be in the car. Thinking that might be ok for the 327?

As a side note this car is labeled as an SS. Last owner whom I didn't get to talk with much said it was an SS for sure. I'm not so sure. Hard to tell since the engine was changed. He didn't have the original block which I wanted. These are the VIN numbers I got off the car but from what I read you really can't tell that it is an SS from these numbers. The car is in great shape but I have come to realize that the value of the car isdiminished without the original engine and the fact that it is unknow to be a true SS. Something esle that makes me think it isn't an SS is this. It has a cowl hood. The last owner gave me another hood. I stored it and never really pulled it out of the box but looking in showed me what I thought was a flat hood without louvers. Didn't the SS have some kind of louvers on it? Sorry for long post.

69 Camaro - 124379N562195
ST 69 12437 NOR160526
TR 711 72
12B X11

Old 05-17-2007, 01:30 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Choke

your car is a V-8hugger orange car with black interior. the SS hood has two slightly raised humps with louvers on them. you are right about the car's value without the original engine. an SS came with power brakes. most people that have a true SS these days will know the history of the car and have some type of proof.

the people that try to put up a front and try to act kind of mysterious about the car, to peak you interest, are just lying to your face because they have no proof

definitley worth you looking into though

Old 05-17-2007, 07:35 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

In addition to 1969SS's info I would add it was made the second week of december. Also the 'X11' tells us it is either an SS, SS/RS or Z28. Based on what you have told us, without looking at it I would say its a real SS. If you would have left the part out about the PO telling you it was an SS, I would have first said it is a Z28. Numbers on motor and hood description is closer to a Z28 than an SS.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:38 AM

Thanks for chiming in. Sorry for the long first time posts.

My SS? 69 is a V-8hugger orange 4 speedcar with black interior. It also has a black vinyl hardtop roof that appears orginal. It does have power brakes. No power steering. I was reading here:

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/faq/chev...ro-faq-SS.shtm

It says not all 69 X11 tags mean it was an SS. Some plain 69 Camaros were tagged X11. The PO was pretty fussy about the car. When I went to look at it he had it in the yard with each tire on a piece of plywood. I know. Sales pitch.He taught high school with a friend of mine and that is how I found out about the car. Matter of fact when I brought it home the PO had called my friend as I left and said I was babying the motor too much pulling out. The PO spoke highly of the motor. Saying it was built by a good friend of his. Sounded to me like the PO got the car from down North Carolina area and it didn't have a motor when he got it or it was out. I did some searching on block numbers and does the CE mean crate engine. Meaning it was a GM replacement block. The PO was saying something about the 327 block being from a mid sixties vette. Seems to me the engine was parted together. Where would the head numbers be? Under the valve covers? The PO said how valuable the camel heads were. At the time that might have been true. Some other reading says there are better heads these days and don't require adding lead for the valves. One of the issue I have with the heads is the lack of accessory bolt holes and the fact that I can't installthe water temp sensor in the heads. The alternator bracket bolts to the header exhaust manifold bolts. I'm not a big fan of that bracket as the alternator doesn't look to line up exactly. One other items I'm looking into is the heater box under the hood. For whatever reason someone cut away part of the corner of it near the rear pass valve cover. I have never had the valve covers off. They seem high. Not sure if that is needed or if they were high for looks. I did pick up a replacement heater box. I think I could get it replaced without hitting valve covers. I might pull the vavle covers first and see if they cover are required first in case I would need to change them out.

Looks like they added the Weiand 8004 intake and put a GM holly on it. I traced the Holly numbers a bit and it seems have been used on a 72 Z28 application wise. If I can't get a electric or some type of choke for this intake and carb setup I might look at changing the intake and carb out at some point. Not in any kind of hurry since it isn't a big issue but on my agenda.

Over-all the cars runs great. Tons of power and sure draws the eyes. If I ever have thoughts of selling a drive is all that is needed to end that.Deep down that engine still haunts me. I wish I had that original engine at least sitting in the garage if anything. I pulled the AM radio back when I got the car to see if I could get it working. Turned out to be the speaker. I left the radio in my dads garage all these years. Went back to get it and he said he pitched it. Who wants an AM radio these days he said. :-) They seem to draw a good price on ebay.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cplthomas

hood description is closer to a Z28 than an SS.
the Z-28s all came with a flat or cowl hood. the SS was the only one with that type of hood (the one in the box...if that's the original)

Old 05-17-2007, 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: 1969 SS

hood description is closer to a Z28 than an SS.
the Z-28s all came with a flat or cowl hood. the SS was the only one with that type of hood (the one in the box...if that's the original)
The hood on the car is a cowl hood. The PO gave me another hood which I thought was the original. It was in a box. I stored it at my dads and never had it out of the box but did peek in once. It appears to be a flat hood with no louvers. I'm going to retrieve it and store it at my house before it suffers the same fate as my AM radio. Will get a better look at it then and maybe see if the box it is in was from the cowl hood.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:26 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I was assuming ( I know ) that the hood was origional. Its true that X11 came on plain Camaro's as well. Does it have disk brakes?

Old 05-17-2007, 12:28 PM

I was assuming ( I know ) that the hood was origional. Its true that X11 came on plain Camaro's as well. Does it have disk brakes?
It does have power front disk brakes.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:29 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Before we get into a debate, I will let you know that there are many ways that this car could be an SS, thare are also many ways that someone could make a clone and most folks would never know the differance. It takes effort to investigate. There are a bunch of little things that indicate these differances. Are you looking to restore the car to original condition? or just make it for you? To restore it properly you would need (at least) a period correct motor, more specificaly there are even proper pulleys and such. Like 1969SS said above the hoods were flat and had a cowl for the Z28 and only the SS could have a louvered hood. Without the protect-o-plate or original build sheet theremight be no way of knowing for sure other than what the PO said.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

it sounds like you just have a nice driver there. if I was you, I'd just do what I wanted with it. I wouldn't worry about originality. seems like you would need to do a lot of research to find out it's truthful model. even it your car is an original SS, this would be an expensive endeavour to partake in. best left for someone with bottomless pockets

now get out and start beating on that thing!!!

Quick Reply: Choke