Can anyone tell me if this is a RS from the Cowl?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 10:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Can anyone tell me if this is a RS from the Cowl?

Found a 69 that is advertised as a RS.
The guy that is selling is not sure if it is or not. He thinks it is but he's only going off what the prior owned told him. (That it was a RS)

I asked him to send me a pic of the tag. Can anyone tell me from this tag if it is a RS? All the research I've done, nothing on this tag indicates it is a RS.
Help? I really like this car and am considering it but I don't want to pay for a RS if I'm not getting it.
See pic.

Attached Thumbnails Can anyone tell me if this is a RS from the Cowl?-image.jpg  
Old 06-22-2015, 08:03 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Since you did a bit of research already, I presume you know what the other codes are for, so I won't get into that.
GM didn't start putting X codes on the 69 trim tags till mid-year production. X11, X22 and X33 were the RS equipped options. Yours (code 02D) is a 4th week February car, which explains why no X code.
You have to do your own detective work to determine if it's an RS. Look at the headlights, do the holes where the mechanism sticks through the inner fender look like factory? Non RS cars don't have those holes, but can be drilled open if doing a conversion, or RS fenders can be swapped. The openings for the reverse lights below the bumper would have a factory look to them, if the seller will let you remove one of the lamps. You would be able to tell if someone cut those open after the fact as well.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Since you did a bit of research already, I presume you know what the other codes are for, so I won't get into that.
GM didn't start putting X codes on the 69 trim tags till mid-year production. X11, X22 and X33 were the RS equipped options. Yours (code 02D) is a 4th week February car, which explains why no X code.
You have to do your own detective work to determine if it's an RS. Look at the headlights, do the holes where the mechanism sticks through the inner fender look like factory? Non RS cars don't have those holes, but can be drilled open if doing a conversion, or RS fenders can be swapped. The openings for the reverse lights below the bumper would have a factory look to them, if the seller will let you remove one of the lamps. You would be able to tell if someone cut those open after the fact as well.
Thank you much. That is the kind of info I was hoping for. I guess somewhere in my search I missed the part about the RS/SS equiped options not being included until later on the cowl. Thats intresting that they wouldnt have included that sooner...
Is there any other methods other than those 2? Lets say for instance if the front fenders were swapped for RS and he wont let me remove the lamps to check... Is there a 3rd option?

Old 06-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The headlights, different tail lights, lower reverse lights, the associated wiring and the vacuum system are the distinguishing features of the RS. If I was selling an RS and a potential buyer wanted to see behind the reverse lights, I wouldn't have an issue with that. But I'd be the one doing the r&r, it's only a couple of screws.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So with all that said, it looks like someone could add on all these features and sell the car as a RS even though it rolled off the line as a base model, correct? I mean unless you really really know what your doing you can easily purchase a base model advertised as an RS.
If the car is not a true RS but it has all the RS features does that make it worth less than what it would be if it did have the X-code number?

Last edited by MOmilkman; 06-22-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Right, someone could, with all the factory or reproduction parts, create an RS that would be hard for anybody but the very knowledgeable to tell the difference.
A true RS with documentation (or verifying tell-tale signs) is worth more than one that's been made that way later. The current buzz term for reproduction models is "tribute car". Somebody came up with that one since it sounds better than using the word "fake". Hell, guess that makes my wife a "tribute blonde". lol
People also do it to create an SS, Z/28, etc.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Hell, guess that makes my wife a "tribute blonde". lol
People also do it to create an SS, Z/28, etc.

Hahahahahaahhahahahaha! Thank you sir for your time and knowledge. I'll let you know if this car pans out. My quest won't end until I have one in my arms.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:36 AM
4th Gear Member

You might visit Camaro Research Group for learning more about your prospective buy.
The site gives insight about 'narrow-rivet' cowl tags as the one shown, not as there is any thing wrong with the tag, I'm no expert on tags - still learning.
Hex head rivets were used, not round. Most tags are wide rivet meaning the rivets are close to the edge of the tag, not inside of the tag.

And yes, anybody can make an RS model, as it was an appearance package/option.
Be sure to check dash VIN with the stamped VIN under the cowl panel.
Check engine pad for matching VIN and date before Feb '69.

Post more pictures if you can. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The rivet position came both ways, narrow and wide, depending on production date and assembly plant location. Round head rivets are what's correct, as is what's on mine as well. Hex heads started being used sometime during the 1973 model year.
1969 Camaro Trim Tag Identification and Decoding

Old 06-24-2015, 10:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
You might visit Camaro Research Group for learning more about your prospective buy.
The site gives insight about 'narrow-rivet' cowl tags as the one shown, not as there is any thing wrong with the tag, I'm no expert on tags - still learning.
Hex head rivets were used, not round. Most tags are wide rivet meaning the rivets are close to the edge of the tag, not inside of the tag.

And yes, anybody can make an RS model, as it was an appearance package/option.
Be sure to check dash VIN with the stamped VIN under the cowl panel.
Check engine pad for matching VIN and date before Feb '69.

Post more pictures if you can. Good luck!
Thanks Everett,
Yes, I have been using that site for discyphering the tags. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Can anyone tell me if this is a RS from the Cowl?