Buying a 1969 Camaro on Leave From Iraq

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Default Buying a 1969 Camaro on Leave From Iraq

Hello Everyone,
Thought I'd post this on here and get some feedback. I am picking up a 1969 Camaro while home on R&R (2 week leave) from Iraq in the comming week. I'm getting it for $9500 and the only thing that appears to be wrong with it is a rusted trunk on the inside, as well as some interior stuff suck as the roof. It has a Edelbrock 350 Engine in it as well as new floor panels, etc. Just thought I'd get some feedback. I'm only 23, but love the classics.
Thanks!
-Aaron

Old 07-30-2009, 02:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hay welcome to the forum. im sure 0 and 69 should be by to say hi. u will get to know em pretty well workin em for info. how long u stateside for?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Good choice in cars, although everybody and their brother has a 69!
Price doesn't sound too bad, providing the problems you see are the only ones it has. Be sure to look the car over thoroughly, top to bottom. And check all the panels with a weak magnet. A number of us have found "surprises" hiding under the paint before. And it's not the fun kind of surprise either.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:22 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Well welcome aboard and goodluck with your purchase. I spent 8k on mine and got a hidden bondo with spot rusted bucket....lol....Be sure and check around below the window sill. Thats a normal place for rust to be hiding under the cowl vent panel.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:19 AM

Will Do, I will be stateside for 2 weeks and then home for good in September...so not to much longer. I'll try to get some pictures posted, would I be better off replacing the whole trunk pan if it is rusted?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:47 AM

Oh I can't post pics from the army computers, I know dumb...Here is a link to the website that I have purchased it from. The dealership is in Indiana, so it's a 10 hour drive for me, but it will give my dad and I some quality time together since I have ben gone for a year.

http://www.500autosales.com/cpsitefr....pagecall=page

let me know what you think! I'm excited and unfortunately don't know much about fixing cars up but am willing to learn and have for a while so any advice would also be appreciated

Old 07-31-2009, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Looks pretty good, for the most part. You'll have to check the trunk when you see it and see if it's rotted through or more on the surface. I see a spot that could be either a hole, or a piece of crud, hard to tell in the pic. Take some info with you too, to find out if it's a real SS car or not. If it is, it's definitely worth it. Look here: http://www.chevy-camaro.com/faq/chev...ro-faq-SS.shtm

Old 07-31-2009, 09:12 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Looks sweet man. Goodluck with it. It looks like a winner to me.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

sweet man I bought my 68' when i was on leave from Iraq back in 08'. Like everyone else has said check panels. I unfortunatly couldn't see the interior of my car very well before i got my car, the transmission tunnel and several areas of the floor need to be repaired, and i couldn't see that because of the engine blocking the view from the firewall and i didn't get down and look under the dash. I highly suggest bringing a flash light even if you're looking at it during the day and get down and look at everything. Its your money that you worked hard for (i'm guessing you're a E-4) make sure you know what you're buying and the work it'll need.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:12 PM

I will, I think I am going to replace the trunk pan entirely anyways. Funny im a 31B as well, small world...anyways I'm excited about it. It has new floor pans as well as a dash...
I also checked the vin and it was originally a V-8...not sure if originally an SS though...

Last edited by AirBoyzT; 07-31-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying a 1969 Camaro on Leave From Iraq