Big block coil springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:10 PM
Default Big block coil springs

I have been looking for some big block front coil springs for my 67 Camaro. Due to the raised suspension in the rear with over sized tires and leaf springs, I am afraid of the car bottoming out in the front. I cannot find any springs online; all of the springs I find are lowered a few inches (I don't want this). Can someone give me a link where I can buy some?

Last edited by Scubasteve; 07-31-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You're car has a good looking stance now. It wouldn't look as good if you raise the front. And your front end isn't nearly as low as I've seen on others. I do have a couple ?'s:
Do you have a b.b in there?
Have you ever bottomed out at all?
Do you have low hanging headers or oil pan?
Do you intend on going off-roading?

Old 08-01-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You're car has a good looking stance now. It wouldn't look as good if you raise the front. And your front end isn't nearly as low as I've seen on others. I do have a couple ?'s:
Do you have a b.b in there?
Have you ever bottomed out at all?
Do you have low hanging headers or oil pan?
Do you intend on going off-roading?
Small block 383 stroker
The oil pan and the headers do not hang low.
The roads here in Saskatchewan are terrible. I have hit my front spoiler numerous times already. Its taken quite a beating and I have had to reattach it more then once. Its just plain embarrassing trying to show off by peeling away and you here this loud *SCRRAAAPPPPPPPE*.

I just want stiffer front springs with less give and I should be alright. I cannot find a link anywhere for BB springs.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

I like the cars stance too (beautiful car by the way) and would not raise it if it were mine.
You might consider a heavier shock upgrade instead of heavier springs.
Maybe a set of coil overs.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ion/index.html

Old 08-01-2009, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear member

I would try stiffer shocks, car looks great the way it is and bb springs would put front end up because they are made to support extra 200 ,300 more lbs weight of bb

Old 08-02-2009, 10:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I feel your pain. I lived 65 miles outside Spokane when I bought my Camaro in the 70's. We used to get these little twist-in spacers that fit between the coils. You'd jack up the car and let the suspension hang, then put the spacer on the end of a 1/2" ratchet and extension, and twist/screw them in between two of the coils. You would put one in front, and one in the rear of each coil. I got them from NAPA, they may still carry the part. It isn't elegant, but it is functional when you live in a remote rural area with bad roads. I had a slight lift on my Camaro for years, until I moved to the city and kept it on paved roads. Then I got 6-cylinder springs and cut out a coil. Those springs are on it today.

Last edited by hkunz; 08-02-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You could use the bb springs for the heavier rate, then cut them down a little to regain your nice stance.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:47 PM

Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

In my opinion, big block springs are going to raise your car too much in front and give you a jaw jarring ride. it might even give you alignment problems

just try a stock small block "heavy duty" spring. that is what they put in A/C cars. check out Eaton Spring. they are the leading resto spring manufacturer

Old 08-05-2009, 08:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Your stance is good, but I can see why you'd have problems on northern roads.

Quick Reply: Big block coil springs