best friends ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Default best friends ride

hello,my name is roy,let me tell you my story.back in 1979 i found a 1967 camaro with 1972 plates on it,belonged to a woman i worked with son she wanted it out of her garage.i went looked at it ,the motor 327 was locked up,car had 56,000 miles on it never wrecked or rust,intrior was perfect.she wanted 200.00 for it so i called my best friend Kim and he came right away and bought the car towed it to his moms garage. to make a long story short the car to date has never been driven on the road the odometer still reads 56,000 miles.he has moved this car from garage to garage as he moved from place to place.about a year ago he took the car to a respectable body shop and had a rotisary restoration done on te car,he got the car back was going to put it back together his self.he had it painted back original butternut yellow.he rebuilt the 327 .the car is on jackstands striped bare ,about 3 weeks ago my friend died in his driveway in front of the camaro and his wife,they think it was massive heart attack.i am going to try and put the camaro back together for his 17 year old daughter but i will need some help on maybe where some things go on interior and what seals to get things like that i will be asking some questions when i start this project,i am going to try to do this for my friend and his daughter .car is base coat clear coat and it is beautiful he was turning it into ss has rear spoiler on it already and ss hood.thanks in memory of Kim Ray.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 PM

i will post pics when i start this project this fall.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 PM
2nd Gear member

nice thought good luck

Old 09-08-2012, 07:27 AM

going to work on the 67 today going to install heater box so i can reinstall fender,let the puzzle begin !

Old 09-08-2012, 08:49 AM
3rd Gear Member

Now that is just a sad sad story.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:57 PM

Good luck with the project!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:21 PM

well i was heading to columbus to work on the camaro when my friends wife called me and said they are going to sell the car as is they dont have money to buy all the new parts to finish.my question is whats the car worth in its condition?the body has had rotessory restoration,base coat clear coat butternut yellow,new headliner,dash pad,new 350 engine,no exaust installed yet or carb,needs front and rear glass,needs new interior trim,seats are in great shape,needs carpet,insilation,bumpers need rechromed,needs all new seals,probably new wiring harness,needs new tires ,rims,what would be a fair price to offer her for this car,odometer reads 56,000 miles,rebuilt 327 comes with it,would 10,000 be to much in the unfinished condition or is this not enough

Old 09-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Would she be happy with $10k? With all that's been done, and the way you make it sound, the car is worth more than that as it sits. Take a look on ebay. There's a 67 in primer "ready for paint", bid past 10k with 4 days to go. See how the overall condition of that one compares to yours. Here it is: 1967 Camaro on ebay

Old 09-12-2012, 05:56 AM
2nd Gear member

Hi Roy,

First, sorry for the loss of your friend.

As for his car and it's value, well here's the thing, it may be worth 10K or more to you because it already has a special value on it because it was your best friends car and you can't put a value on your friendship.

When making an offer I always look at the "big" picture and look at what still needs to be spent on the project and then what has already been done and try to come up with a fair price. If the car is as nice as you state, then 10k might be a fair asking price.

For me, I look at that car that Camaro 69 posted and I see some things I don't like and there is no way I'd offer him that kind of money, but that is just me.

Good luck with this and post some pictures if you can.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:51 PM

thanks for the replies,yes it is hard to put a price on a car in pieces and i think it would take 5,000 plus to finish the car if i did the labor.i am not rich by any means but i would like to have the car and finish it,just wanted to make her a fair offer.i was thinking of 10,000 and giving her money from left over parts when they sell wich should be additional 2-3 thousand,i just didnt want to take advantage of her didnt know what car is worth. i would put original 327 back in and sell new 350.my friend was 53 years old,poor guy didnt know what hit him,he had been installing security camera in the attic over his garage to keep an eye on his 67 .his wife said he threw up ,just didnt feel good,she went out to put mowers in garage and he followed her out to the driveway ,she said he just said woah turned pail and fell over dead.enjoy every day that you have because we just dont know.

Quick Reply: best friends ride