Almost finished restoring...need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Almost finished restoring...need a little help

Hi, I am in the process of finishing the resto in my 67 Camaro. Really all it needs now is paint (in a couple weeks), and a few tweaks under the hood and I'm good to go. Now after installing the rear end (12 bolt posi, 4.11 gears) I was thinking of putting ladder bars on. Would you guys recommend that or going with Cal-Trac? I would prefer ladder bars because of cost, but whatever works best, I can always save my pennies. The only problem I'm running into is that I have leaf springs and I thought ladder bars were made more for coil overs? This car is gonna see street but also alot of strip time as well. I also plan on tubbing out my rear end here soon. If anyone can help me out with this I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Oh by the way, here's some pics of the car.

468 BBC
Name:  IMAG0258.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  32.8 KB

Name:  1031101641-1.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  23.1 KB

Name:  1208100836.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  17.5 KB

Name:  09161016062.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  29.1 KB
And the MT slicks and fronts are going away, replacing those with MT Sportsman S/Rs aftr I get the rear shortened. Sorry I know the pics suck, the lighting is bad in my garage. And these were taken a while ago, so the car is more done now.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey...looks good, nice set up on the motor, is that a Zoops Alt. Bracket? You might want to play with that fuel pump to carb line, damn thing always runs so close to the lower radiator hose.

If it was simply a preference thing...I would go with the Cal-Tracs, I thought Edelbrock or somebody made a similar set-up if the Cal-Tracs are too much $$$. So was that originally a 4P car and somebody added the RS hideaways and SS Gas Cap?

It's hard to tell from the pics but are you still running the Mono-Leaf set-up and are you going to hook up some sub-frame connectors? Did you replace the sub-frame bushings with some new pg donuts? Are you still running with the 1/2 inch front sway?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions I just love build ups on 67's.

Last edited by shevrolay; 01-11-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Haha ask all the questions you need buddy.

That is indeed a Zoops Alt bracket. I love the way its so light and easy to put on. I am leaning towards Cal-Tracs more after looking into them. I found some for under $300 so it doesn't break the bank...

And yes it is a 4P car, and those aren't RS hideaways I just haven't installed the headlights yet. I have them but I think I'm gonna wait for paint first. And the SS gas cap is a replacement because when I got the car it was all rusted and just didn't look good.

I'm not running a Mono-Leaf, and no I did away with the front sway bar. I did add 2 subframe connectors a while back. And I have replaced all the subframe bushings.

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-11-2011, 02:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok so I just learned that if I get my rear end tubbed they'll replace the leaf springs with coils, so most likely I'll go with a ladder bar setup.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
2nd Gear member

I was in the same situation for my 68 after having a custom set of springs made from Eaton Spring.
I called the guys at Competition Engineering to help me make up my mind between a 4 link or whatever was available and they put me into a set of Slide-a-links which they said would give me better 60 foot times than the 4link according to the HP, springs and Rear End I was running, so that's what I went with.

I've never seen the Cal-Tracks before, but they look just like the Slide a links with the exception that the C.E. SAL's are adjustable. I noticed the first time giving the car a bit of gas how the rear end of the car squatted and bit in. It was a great feeling where as the traction bars I orignially had didn't do much of anything lol.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:15 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 67SuperSport
Ok so I just learned that if I get my rear end tubbed they'll replace the leaf springs with coils, so most likely I'll go with a ladder bar setup.
Just saw that. Well, that eliminates the Slide a Links then