adding the RS package to an SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Default adding the RS package to an SS

I have a 1969 SS X22 in very nice cond. I always loved the look of the RS package. I do not have the build sheet, without it is there any way to tell that it was not an RS to begin with. Will it hurt the value of the car to add the RS to it. Besides the aperince of the front and rear exteriors is there anything else to change? Anyone with some advice on pros and cons

Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I guess it would depend on whether or not you want the car to be original or not. If it is already a non-numbers matching driver, then I would say go for it. Make it the way you like it! I may be mistaken, but isn't the X22 code an SS396 car? If so, I believe you would need to find out whether it had the RS option by decoding the VIN and/or cowl plate. There are a few websites with this info. One decent one is http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#XnnCodes. Besides changing the exterior looks, the biggest conversion would be getting the hideaway headlights working. 69 cars came mostly with the vacuum operated headlight doors which were complex and problematic. They make a simpler electric powered conversion kit that has less parts. Check out www.firewheelclassics.com for that kit. Another possible hurdle might be that non RS cars may lack the mounting points for the hideaway headlight kits on the inside of the fenders, but I heard that and can not confirm. Either way, I think the RS option look is awesome on all the '69 Camaros as well. If you aren't looking for a perfect #'s matching Barrett Jackson car and want a driver that you will enjoy, make the move. That is unless the car's VIN/Cowl tells you that it's supposed to have the RS option. Then you will increase the value a whole lot making it correct! Good luck!

Last edited by dj69z28; 10-19-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

You can buy the whole electric RS conversion kit including grill from Bob's for $1300. Check it out..that is exactly what I am thinking of doing to my ugly looking std front end too.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default other rs stuff

You should have wheel lip moldings, rocker moldings and pedal trim along with the lights. I don't believe there are any codes in the vin or cowl tag for x-22 cars to prove/disprove rs options. I believe that x-11 cars could be rs, but did not have to be. I think that x-22 vs x-66 cars can differentiate between non rs optioned packages. I believe that x22, x11 and x33 cars were higher optioned vehicles from a non perfromance standpoint vs their counter part x44, x66 and x77 cars.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:06 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I converted my 67' to hide-away headlights with the classic industries kit. It cost around 1000$. The parts were a pretty easy install but it didnt come with a wiring harness nor wiring diagrams, which is the biggest hurtle with the electric kit. The RS headlights have a special headlight switch, that was also left out of the kit. So, I got creative and found some double relays at radio shack that got the job done with the stock switch (I'm planning to rewire the entire car,so i was cheap). Dj69z28 is right, the Rs fenders are different than stock. There are mounts on behind the headlights for the motor assembles. But, the classic kit come with conversion mounts that have to be welded in.

Last edited by juggernaut; 10-22-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:01 PM

X22 can be an RS. Without a build sheet, nobody can tell whether it came with the car or not. The rear cut outs usually give it away as most people don't take the time to add the correct hole for the wiring harness or the rear backup lights. Take your time and do your research.

The best complete kit I could find was on www.heartbeatcity.net and had EVERYTHING required. I also got a code for 10% off, see if you can use it..

9E2-CB4-X7L