69 from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 69 from scratch

I already have a 69 SS 427 coupe which I love...I am going to start a new project it is going to be a 69 convertible. I am thinking about going with one of those new bodies from dynacorn. I need to find some kind of procedure basic or indepth in does not matter. I do not want to assembleparts and mount them on the car and then need to take them off b/c something else needs to go onor be painted first.

If anyone has any suggestions, websites, companies, or anything like that, it would be great...Most of the information I havegathered from the forum has been great. I just want to find some sort ofstarting point, procedure, or something.

Here is some pics of my current car:
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...o/DSCN1034.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...o/P6250053.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...o/DSCN1556.jpg

~Thanks~

Old 04-06-2008, 02:31 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: 69 from scratch

when doing a build like that, you have to put the entire body together, and then strip it all apart again to paint it. so wether you want to or not, there is no way around it. if you try to paint a car without test fitting EVERYTHING first, you are only asking for major problems and headaches as the build goes on.

nothing in-depth, but Hot Rod and SC have done a couple of build-ups with those bodies. I actually saw the first one ever built back in '06 and it was a pretty nice product

Old 04-06-2008, 04:10 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

+1 on what 69SS said. Everything needs to be fitted then disassembled before painting. Consider that you will be buying almost all aftermarket parts and putting them on an aftermarket body. Even seemingly easy parts like window tracks may not fit as intended. One thing you have in your favor is a pattern to follow (your coupe). Remember these Dynacorn bodies are just that, a body shell, nothing else. you will spend hours just making up a shopping list of parts. Just for starters you will need to bolt on a sub-frame and the front clip. All parts will need to be aligned then you can begin sanding, filling and blocking. Basically you are doing a restoration with no parts, good thing is no rust either!

I do not know of anyone posting any kind of build procedure on these. If you do it you could be the first. Do you have a way of getting a title in your state? If not consider buying a basket case car for some of the parts and VIN. I would advise getting in the good graces of someone who has dealer status with Classic Industries and Cars Inc as they have all the small parts and the cost will be huge.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the feedback and I agree with you guys 100%. Having the coupe will help, and I understand that "everything" will need to be fitted and thentaken offbefore the paint job.

If anyone else has suggestions or have been involved in a project like this I would like to hear your input as well.

Thanks for the help and I will keep you posted on my progress along with pics. *I'm sure I will have more questions for you guys as I get more involved*

Old 04-11-2008, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Beautiful Car!!!

I believe I am building it's twin right now. Same color, stripes, big-block......

Gonna run the SS wheels.

I like it alot!

John

Old 04-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Check your local laws. Some states will not create a title without a bill of sale of a car. (Some will not even except a bill of sale) Danacorp can not sell it as a Car it is a part. I think this is why people are getting 3-5K for rusted out shells on ebay.

It kinda makes sense. If I could just get a new title for a Camaro look alike what would stop me from stealing a Camaro removing the vins and re-titling it as repo car.

My fear is at some point the government is going to crack down on the repo business. I could setup an assembly line and build these cars with new LS2’s and sell them for 30K. I would be in direct competition with GM dealers that have to meet emission and crash test standards. If someone does that you will see a quick crack down because the big 3 will force the issue. Any company that tried this without the backing from GM and a limited production agreementwould not last long.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:03 PM

Year One sell the coupe and vert shells assym with the doors, trunk, ect.. installed. They also have a manual under the literature section, that details building a car completely from parts online. Its a step by step building manual. Apparently, it goes in order on what parts to buy, and when. Hope that helps.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the input, I am currently checking with my state to get the process on how it would work...Basically what I gather is I may have to sign an agreement to make sure I do not just go out and start assembling cars and selling them. (It makes sense)
I am just doing this project for my own gratification, but I can see why this could turn into a serious problem if people choose to abuse it.

~I will keep you guys informed on how it goes and hopefully soon I can start posting pics of the project~
*I am already building the motor 396 bored sixty over*

Old 04-17-2008, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

In our state, you can apply for an "Assembled Vehicle" title, however, it will be listed as a 2008 camaro if you title it in 2008. To apply, you must show receipts for all the major components, or a bill of sale, and it must pass state inspection.

J.