'69 fame + body

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Default '69 fame + body

is it possible to buy a frame and body as bare bones for a '69? where could I buy one?

also - if i'm not going to spend time rebuilding, where would be a good place to find a motor?

wcg

Old 05-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member
Old 05-10-2009, 01:41 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Wow.....14K........now that's cool......sometimes I wished we would have gone this route.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by orocker
Wow.....14K........now that's cool......sometimes I wished we would have gone this route.
That's a lot of scratch but it would be cool to have a brand new body.
If one has enough money they can now have a completely new and upgraded '69 Camaro.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Don't forget that the Danacorn body is not ready for paint. You are looking at another 3K of work blocking and body alignment and then the paint itself. Second is there is very strick laws about switching Vin tags from one body to the next. The law was not design to stop people from buying replacment bodies it is there to stop crooks from buying junk car for next to nothing and stealing nice version and switching the vins. But it is there. Make sure you check with a title company before hand buy anything. You will either have to get a "Hot Rod" title like if you built a kit car or you will have to lie about the vin tag. Law vary State to State. In some states it is almost impossible to get one of these cars on the road with out committing a felony.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:42 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It is illegal to swap a VIN tag, but it's a federal offense, not a state offense.
On the other hand, it's not illegal to do a cowl/firewall transplant, which also happens to contain the VIN and trim tag.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:05 PM

thank you, i simply do not have enough space or time rebuild a car... I really admire the people who do though, because there's a lot of heart and soul in each of those cars... These projects are a TON of work and commitment... And besides, I want to build a driver car and not really a show car...

Thanks also for the advice about the VIN, I didn't even think about that. I will now though, that's very important

Old 05-12-2009, 08:37 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn
Don't forget that the Danacorn body is not ready for paint. You are looking at another 3K of work blocking and body alignment and then the paint itself. Second is there is very strick laws about switching Vin tags from one body to the next. The law was not design to stop people from buying replacment bodies it is there to stop crooks from buying junk car for next to nothing and stealing nice version and switching the vins. But it is there. Make sure you check with a title company before hand buy anything. You will either have to get a "Hot Rod" title like if you built a kit car or you will have to lie about the vin tag. Law vary State to State. In some states it is almost impossible to get one of these cars on the road with out committing a felony.

Yes and concidering my frame and undercarriage was in excellent condition Im still glad we did what we did. I have about 31k in mine now and about a grand left to go. I guess you could say that I made an old car come back to life even though she has a whole new shell.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
It is illegal to swap a VIN tag, but it's a federal offense, not a state offense.
On the other hand, it's not illegal to do a cowl/firewall transplant, which also happens to contain the VIN and trim tag.
worth reading

http://jalopnik.com/381086/unique-pe...-felony-update