69 Complete Re-Wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM
Default 69 Complete Re-Wire

I've got to completely rewire my car and American Autowire has a kit (#500686) that is supposed to be designed specifically for the 69 Camaro. It says it has all the Factory connectors, same color codes, plus it has provisions worked in for new gauges pakages, HEI Dist, late model AC and stuff. They list it for $540 but you can buy it on Ebay for $460 with free shipping all day long. Has anyone used this kit before or know anyone who has? Or another kit you've used that I should look into?? Here's a link to look at it on American Autowires website...

http://0193647.netsolstores.com/inde...p;ProdID=24132

Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 69 Complete Re-Wire

I've used the 500661 kit for my 1968 Camaro. It is really complete and then some. It comes with connectors for bothoriginal or after market switches and gauges. It even have provisions for speed sensors and computers, etc. All of the terminals are included and the only hassle is that it is time consuming to install because all of the wires are longer than they need to be and you have to route them and cut to fit and then install all the terminals. But, if you take your time and wrap the harness as you go it looks professional when finished. The instructions are very detailed and all of the wires have where they go stamped onto each wire. I think it is probably the best aftermarket wire set available.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:44 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

This is the piece that I am waiting for from my body guy. I am not sure what kit he ordered for me but I know it was around 250$ for the kit. He says it is complete with everything I need. I will ask him tomorrow what kit he ordered for me and where he got it from.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: orocker

This is the piece that I am waiting for from my body guy. I am not sure what kit he ordered for me but I know it was around 250$ for the kit. He says it is complete with everything I need. I will ask him tomorrow what kit he ordered for me and where he got it from.
Cool, I havent ordered mine yet but I have done alot of research and it sounds like American Autowire is the only kit with GM connectors and I can use the existing wiring on the rearend of the car if the new kit plugs into it so I am leaning that way. It sounds like the $250 kit may be a generic "hotrod kit" for use in anything. The other thing about this kit is the Fuse Panel is designed to go in the existing hole in the firewall and the wiring is laid out for all the factory routing and stuff. I dont know, but please do give me some feedback on what your guy comes up with. Your guy looks like he knows what he's doing so I'm all ears!!!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:56 AM
3rd Gear Member

I like to use Painless Wiring's harnesses whenever I do anything older (LS1 builds, I'm using Street and Performance engine harnesses). never hada problem with them. I have had a few friend's say they didn't want to spend the money and went with the "$250.00" harnesses and they were NEVER worth it. some sucked right from the beginning while others looked decent, but a few years later they would start failing in different ways (mostly the connectors). some had poor directions, markings, wrong connectors, too short of wires, etc, etc...

Painless has "car specific" harnesses and they've been in the game a long time. they have schematics and block diagrams with their harnesses, so if you don't understand one you can probably understand the other

just my two cents

Old 11-01-2008, 12:08 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Ok this is what my buy says he has used in the past and he really likes it.Comesfrom www.speedwaymotors.com& the wiring harness is $150. He is putting it into an old mustang he is turning into an Elinor. Used it on his roadster he did and alot of other old cars he restores. Check it out for yourself.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2345...No=910%2064001

Old 11-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: 1969 SS

I like to use Painless Wiring's harnesses whenever I do anything older (LS1 builds, I'm using Street and Performance engine harnesses). never hada problem with them. I have had a few friend's say they didn't want to spend the money and went with the "$250.00" harnesses and they were NEVER worth it. some sucked right from the beginning while others looked decent, but a few years later they would start failing in different ways (mostly the connectors). some had poor directions, markings, wrong connectors, too short of wires, etc, etc...

Painless has "car specific" harnesses and they've been in the game a long time. they have schematics and block diagrams with their harnesses, so if you don't understand one you can probably understand the other

just my two cents
Thanks, I am looking into "Painless Wirings" Kits now. I have heard theyve been around a long time so they should know what they are doing. appreciate it.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: orocker

Ok this is what my buy says he has used in the past and he really likes it.Comesfrom www.speedwaymotors.com& the wiring harness is $150. He is putting it into an old mustang he is turning into an Elinor. Used it on his roadster he did and alot of other old cars he restores. Check it out for yourself.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2345...No=910%2064001
Thanks orocker, That looks like a good way to go if you have all your original sockets and plugs and stuff but since I had the fire I basically have to start from scratch. That kit had a note that caught my eye right away,,, "To keep costs down and the quality high, this harness does not include any switches, light sockets or plugs that you would normally already have". Unfortunately I dont have all that stuff and will have to buy a more expensive kit to get all of it. Thanks anyway, I appreciate the info.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:05 AM
3rd Gear Member

another big advantage Painless has over that kit, is that it is a "model specific" harness so it has the proper connectors, it bolts exactly in the factory spot and you know it will have enough length of wires that you will need, but it is alsomany times better than the stock harness

Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Painless doesn't offer a harness for factory console gauge Camaros, only universal kits...Remember, you usually get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: 69 Complete Re-Wire