69 Camaro ?Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

There's nothing on the cowl tag to tell what options the car came with, other than the model, trim, and colors. You would need the build sheet or original paperwork to tell you that info. All you can do is make assumptions based on what you can see.
Did you look under the car well to see what the rest of it is like? Looking at the condition of the shock mount areas, it's likely you have other serious rust on the floors and possibly the rear frame rails. Start where the shackles mount to the frame, and work your way forward. Poke around with a screwdriver, rust holes like to hide under layers of scale.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 PM
2nd Gear member

welcome to the site

Old 03-21-2012, 06:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
There's nothing on the cowl tag to tell what options the car came with, other than the model, trim, and colors. You would need the build sheet or original paperwork to tell you that info. All you can do is make assumptions based on what you can see.
Did you look under the car well to see what the rest of it is like? Looking at the condition of the shock mount areas, it's likely you have other serious rust on the floors and possibly the rear frame rails. Start where the shackles mount to the frame, and work your way forward. Poke around with a screwdriver, rust holes like to hide under layers of scale.
Thanks for the info, and yes, I'll check the floors and rear frame rails. I think I'm going to tear it down completely, someone did the rear quarters and didn't do the wheel tubs, so I'm guessing there's a LOT of other ugly things hidden.

Man, there's so much I want to get done on this thing, and literally no time to do them.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by mikes68
welcome to the site
Thanks Mike. Happy to be here. Looks like a wealth of knowledge on these pages.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by dazed n confused
someone did the rear quarters and didn't do the wheel tubs, so I'm guessing there's a LOT of other ugly things hidden.
Maybe there wasn't anything solid left to weld the wheel tubs to, so they didn't bother opening that can of worms.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Maybe there wasn't anything solid left to weld the wheel tubs to, so they didn't bother opening that can of worms.
Ouch! LOL!

Man, you guys are tough.

I sure hope you're wrong. And even if you're right, I'll have something welded in to weld the wheel tubs to. This thing is just too pretty to give up on.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have a fusable link attached to the horn relay that keeps burning up and killing the whole car.

Any idea as to what might be causing that?

Old 03-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, you have a dead short somewhere. What type of replacement fusible link are you using?
Your car is a sweet looking one, definitely worth saving. Wasn't trying to scare you there about the rust, but looking at the shock mount area, you may find more serious stuff hiding once you go digging deeper.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I just put in a new voltage regulator and that seems to have solved the problem.

Instead of the fusable link I installed an inline 15 amp fuse. Does 15 amp sound too small or big? I haven't had the problem since and no wiring is overheating but I have to admit I'm guessing with the 15 amp size.

I'm going to start tearing into this girl next weekend. This forum has given me the confidence that whatever problem I run into will have been seen many times before.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by dazed n confused
Instead of the fusable link I installed an inline 15 amp fuse. Does 15 amp sound too small or big? I haven't had the problem since and no wiring is overheating but I have to admit I'm guessing with the 15 amp size.
You don't want to use regular fuses, fusible links were used for a reason. A normal fuse, like you used, is a fast blow. One quick surge or short above it's rating, and it blows. Fusible links however, are slow blow. They will take a longer duration surge or short before it will melt. Needless to say, you'll probably be replacing the fuses somewhat frequently.
Here's what you want to use: http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/fusible-link.shtml