69 Camaro ?Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012 | 09:50 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes
Default 69 Camaro ?Help?

Hello all.

I'm new, not only to this forum but also to the wonderful world of decoding and restoring a 1st gen Camaro. Can anyone help me with this trim tag?

I know it's a 69, I know it came originally with a 307, (it came with the car although it currently has a built 350 in it) I know it has a 79 Rallye Green paint code, I know it's a Norwood car and I know it's an X11 car though I'm not sure what that means exactly other than it's a trim designation.

Is there any other info on there that jumps out at anyone?

Also, I have some pics of some rust posted at nutritiouscrap.com

Can anyone tell me if the rear shocks mount directly to the unibody panel or is there a mount that welds to the subframe?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm finding all kinds of info, but nothing new lately, especially about that X11 code.

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-17-2012 | 10:21 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Actually, I just found the decoding program from CRG. Here is the info it provided.

Is there any way to know if this car was originally an automatic or manual transmission? It's a stick now but I see pretty convincing evidence that it was once an automatic.

Old 03-18-2012 | 09:31 AM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Here she is sitting next to my 'best girl'.

Old 03-18-2012 | 09:35 AM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Here's what I found when I pulled the back seat out. Do the upper shock mounts bolt directly to the body metal? Is there some kind of metal brace welded to the frame that you mount the rear shocks to?

Old 03-18-2012 | 09:38 AM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Start up and engine video below, I don't know how to or even if I can embed it.

http://nutritiouscrap.com/1969camaro.wmv

Old 03-18-2012 | 10:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. Nice 69 you have. Any plans?

Old 03-18-2012 | 05:36 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by slick's camaro
Welcome to the forum. Nice 69 you have. Any plans?
Thanks!

I'm just trying to figure out what exactly I'm going to have to do. The more I look, the worse it gets. I'm thinking I'm going to have to completely disassemble this car.

Someone has put new rear quarters on, but didn't do the wheel tubs. Same with the front. None of the body panels line up. I have rust through at the rear shock mounts. The interior is trashed.

I've got a bunch of new parts that came with the car, including a complete JL8 conversion kit. It's currently 4 wheel drum.

Man, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, but I know it'll be worth it in the end. I need more garage space.

And at the same time, I've got the Chevy K10 above going too.

Old 03-19-2012 | 08:51 AM
2nd Gear member

What convincing evidence do you see that it was once an automatic? Although 307 is a pretty safe bet that it was an auto.

Old 03-20-2012 | 05:24 AM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by dynarider33
What convincing evidence do you see that it was once an automatic? Although 307 is a pretty safe bet that it was an auto.
It has the wide (auto) brake pedal, but someone has cut the left side of it off to hang the clutch pedal.

It also has part of the auto linkage on the steering column in the engine compartment.

Is there anything on the cowl tag to tell whether or not this was an auto or manual? As far as I know, there's no other way to tell, aside from the physical evidence left behind on the car.

Old 03-20-2012 | 05:34 AM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by dynarider33
Wow! Very nice 69 by the way.