69 454 T56 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 12:35 PM
Default 69 454 T56 Swap

Hey all, I’m interested in swapping a T56 Tremec 6 speed transmission into a 69 Camaro with a 454. Currently it has a 4 speed and with 4.10 gearing making it not as enjoyable to drive having such short gears. From the reading I’ve done across the forums I’m aware of a few things. Shifter location being one, are there any options or putting together a setup that won’t require cutting the transmission tunnel? Also what clutch/ flywheel setup to use with the setup and is going to a hydraulic throw out bearing the best option. There are a lot of forums at are 10 years old and I was wondering if there has been any changes in what might work best or better. If there’s already a thread covering all or most my questions I’d love if I can be directed there. Thanks all for your time and look forward to hearing/learning from y’all.

Old 04-28-2022, 03:13 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The T56 came in several forms, Are you talking about one an aftermaket one that is design to work with a gen one engine setup or are you talking swapping a trans out of a modern SS or Mustang?

Old 04-30-2022, 10:30 PM

I’m open to either option. I’m new to the American car scene I’ve been working on Japanese and European cars so I’m looking for what option would be best and where to get it. Sounds like getting a lot that’ll be set up for the car is the way to go. Where is the best place to look for and order a kit for a 454 in the first gen? I appreciate the reply and look forward to hearing for you!

Old 05-01-2022, 08:52 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you have a budget? Step one would be to figure out what trans you are going to use then step two would be to find a kit. You will need to do some research. Transmission are sometimes rated at HP levels that is crap. The things that make up what stress a transmission see are 1). Torque 2.) weight of the car 3) How well can the rear suspension put that torque to the pavement. I always suggest a transmission that can handle the torque of the motor you want. In many cases that is WAY over kill. If you have a basically stock 12 bolt rears suspension with traction bars A Set of 18" rims with low profile tires Then you will do great burn outs. but you won't launch well. The T-56 have varied over the years. If you look back to the beginning in 1992 with a max torque of 350 ft/lbs I think the modern T56 can handle 700 ft/lbs.

Your issue will be that the 454 is a torque monster. A near stock 454 can more torque then a super charger LS3.

I think I remember seeing a kit to install a newer T-56 in a 69 it was almost 3K and it came with a large section of the floor. That with no transmission.

If you do not have a massive budget, you should look at the TKO 600 5 speed. You can get the whole kit under 4K, its a bolt in no cutting. I think you will pay more then 4k just for a used trans if you can find a newer one. Those supercharged drive lines sell as engine / trans combos and they sale between 13-18K. Junk yards do not want to break them up. I believe the 600 in TKO 600 is the torque rating.

Another point on the 6 speed. 6th gear is the fuel mileage gear. It is a cruse only gear, I don't even think GM rates it for torque. Its there is maintain speed. If fuel milage is your goal you got the wrong engine. So for you unless you plan on running crazy low gears and a lot of highway miles there is not a lot of reason for the 6 speed.

Last edited by Gorn; 05-01-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:35 PM

I appreciate all the valuable information. MPG's are definitely not what I'm going for with this setup lol. I'll look more into the 600 as it's sounding like a better option. Again the info is appreciated and have a phenomenal day! I keep you updated on what I decide on.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:29 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by popka
I appreciate all the valuable information. MPG's are definitely not what I'm going for with this setup lol. .
In that case I'd save all the hassle and just get a good scatter shield and clutch/flywheel set up and go with an M22 4 speed.
The 6 speed in my '01 Camaro SS is like a 4 speed with an overdrive (5th) and an over over drive (6th).

Old 05-06-2022, 08:00 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There is also the Gear Vendor add on overdrive, There are some that say the M22 with the GV OD addon is the best way to go.

I almost never post links to other forums but this thread is on point and not a camaro forum.

https://www.trifive.com/threads/gear...c-5spd.176892/

Old 05-10-2022, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Thank You!

Originally Posted by Gorn
There is also the Gear Vendor add on overdrive, There are some that say the M22 with the GV OD addon is the best way to go.
Gorn, great turn-on! I have had some concerrn about cabin noise at freeway speeds, with 70MPH in my M20 at around 3k RPM. Here is what the shift chart looks like for that stock configuration:

Adding this overdrive option looks like this:

So 70mph turns into 2360, much better! I'll see how it goes with stock tranny once I am back behind his wheel, but at least now I have a reasonable alternative, to the extent that $3K plus install is 'reasonable'..

Old 05-17-2022, 11:46 AM

I have a 69 Camaro that is getting a 496 and I ended up going with a full kit for a Tremec TKX (5 speed, not 6 speed) through Modern Driveline. There are a couple gear ratio options through Tremec and the MDL team did a good job helping me hit the right balance of performance/driveability. The kit has everything: shift lever/boot, crossmember, bell housing, pressure plate and clutch. I know power wise I am right on the edge of what a TKX is rated to handle - 600LBS-ft of torque. I haven't mini-tubbed the car so I doubt I will ever have enough grip to worry about breaking anything in the drivetrain. The nice thing about a TKX is you don't need to modify anything part of the tunnel as it is designed as a drop in replacement for your 4-speed.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:19 PM
Default m21 and gear venders overdrive

[QUOTE=1st Gen;743106]Gorn, great turn-on! I have had some concerrn about cabin noise at freeway speeds, with 70MPH in my M20 at around 3k RPM. Here is what the shift chart looks like for that stock configuration:

Adding this overdrive option looks like this:

So 70mph turns into 2360, much better! I'll see how it goes with stock tranny once I am back behind his wheel, but at least now I have a reasonable alternative, to the extent that $3K plus install is 'reasonable'..[/QU
does anyone have a gv on a m21 in a 68 camaro. i don't want to cut my tunnel

Quick Reply: 69 454 T56 Swap