68 RS - Keep original 327 or go for new Vortec 350? What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Question 68 RS - Keep original 327 or go for new Vortec 350? What would you do?

Ok, so heres the thing. I'm restoring my 68 RS that has about 72000 miles on it. It is almost all original - only mod is headers / dual exhaust. One of the goals of the resto project is to rebuild the engine and beef it up a bit. To that end I have pulled the engine and taken it to a reputable mechanic. He now has my 327 apart and based on his findings is giving me a couple of options.

Option 1) rebuild this engine - and he recommends sending it to Jasper for a complete overhaul / rebuild and adding some performance parts to get HP up to 300 or so, i.e. new pistons, cam, roller rockers, HEI dist, etc.

Option 2) purchase a new vortec 350 / 330hp and install that instead of the original engine.

I'm torn between these options. On the one hand, this is a numbers matching car, and it would be nice to keep it that way. My goal for this car is to have a safe, reliable, occasional driver that looks great and performs well. I had hoped to add 100 hp to the original 327 / 210hp engine but wasn't trying to build a "race car" engine. On the other hand the thought of a more powerful, potentially more reliable vortech engine is very attractive - the biggest downside (given what I know, which admittedly isn't much, lol) is that it would not be the original engine. The upside is the warranty, reliability and power.

The variance in the cost is not so much that I wouldn't spend the extra for the new engine - i.e. $3800 for new 350, $3000 for rebuild). However, given that the 350 is different than the original I'm guessing there will be several "gotchas" that will require additional time / money to make work in my 68. For example, will the intake be too high for original hood?

So...what would you do? Any and every opinion is welcome! Is there another option that might be better still? My heart is racing and my head probably isn't too clear on this...so all input is very welcome.

I would love to know of anyone that has experience or opinions on Jasper Engines too.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Jim

Old 03-26-2009, 02:40 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Jim. Welcome to the forums. Please post some pics of your ride when you get a chance.

Keep the 327. Either keep it in the car or keep it available for the car. Either way, the car is worth more with that engine. You are exactly right in assuming the extra 'gotcha's'. there will be many. 3800 is for the engine alone I bet.... not including the wiring, fuel delivery (pump, lines, connections, etc...) ecm, emissions, ehaust, mounts, labor... the list goes on. You will end up putting closer to 8 - 10 k to have it finnished.

Unless you really need a 350, your mechanic should be able to give you some kind of warrantee with the rebuild of the 327. Also you can get the 327 to have similar performance characteristics (that you want) as the 350.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

< agrees with Cpl... should stay with the Numb Matchin 327 if you can.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Default Thanks!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

I have a photo album here:
https://camaroforums.com/forum/members/68_rs_guy-16548-albums/

Also have a thread in this section that has a few pics in the body...and some info on the car's history and the project.

Thanks again!
Jim

Old 03-26-2009, 08:26 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

I would also agree with the rest and stick with the original motor. Mostly I think because you say that you are not going to use this as a DD.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Just rebuilt a 350/255 horse. Professionally done, upped the heads to 2.02 valves, added cam, decked and balanced the assembly. All in from intake to pan, 4500 to date. Just seems to routine to add crate engines anymore. If you don't have the original engine, you probably never will. Unless you find it on a website like originaldrivetrain.com Rebuild and maintain originality. Opening the hood will be much more enjoyable when you know the right iron is there. JMO

Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I would keep the 327 in there too. Having the original engine is something to brag about. And getting a 327 to 300 h.p. is a piece of cake. Back in 68, the "base" 327 in the Vette was 300 h.p., and that was considered mild. The 327 was also available in a 350 h.p. version. You can have your builder put it together following Vette engine specs and beyond, if you want to.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If it wasn't a numbers matching car i'd say go for it, BUT its not, stick with the 327.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:52 PM

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the input. I will follow the advice here and just stick with the original 327. I will keep posting pics and info as I go. Tomorrow I'll make the call to get the rebuild started!

Thanks again!
Jim

Old 03-27-2009, 02:52 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Good for you!

Quick Reply: 68 RS - Keep original 327 or go for new Vortec 350? What would you do?