68 headliner challenge

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Default 68 headliner challenge

Okay all you interior Camaro Guru's. I have a challenge I'm running into visualizing the install of my new headliner on my 68 Camaro. I tore out the old one about a decade ago, and for the life of me cannot remember how it installed.

At the top of the front and rear windows, there appears to be a metal strip (screwed into the sheetmetal at the front top windshield and clipped onto the sheetmetal at the top and sides of the rear window) that holds the headliner in place. Then you can purchase plastic molding that covers this.

I guess my questions come down to;

Is anyone familiar with what I am describing? and the installing thereof? pictures?
Also, I've purchased the plastic molding pieces, but cannot find the metal strips (not referring to the bowliner rods) at any of the usual suspect online retailers. Other then junk yards, any idea's on where I can find these parts?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Not new to Camaro's but new to this forum, will post pictures of my ride when I can. Thank you.
-Robert

Old 10-03-2009, 11:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Check out Jimmy's Bowtie - (800) 414-5467 or email at bowtie@united.net - Also has a Ebay store named "Bowtie OnLine".

Another source you might try is "Chicago Muscle Car Parts" - www.cmcponline.com - 847-526-2200

Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 PM

thanks for the info.. No luck at either. I can't even find mention of these parts in the restoration manuals I have, nor in the 68 Factory Assembly Instruction Manual (interesting enough, no mention of any headliner assembly in this one). I'll try taking pictures of what I am talking about to better illustrate the challenge I am having.

Hoping someone out there at least understands what I am talking about.

thank again.

-Robert

Old 10-05-2009, 01:56 PM

Okay, 3 pictures posted.

1. picture of the backlite window pointing out the metal tabs that hold the headliner metal flange (for lack of a better word).

2. same picture as no. 1 with the actual center headliner metal flange loosely installed over the tabs. Metal Tabs go all the way down the sail panel. These side Flanges I do not have.

3. Front Window picture pointing out the metal screws that hold the front headliner flange, which I also do not have.

Thanks for any help or assistance.

-Robert

Attached Thumbnails 68 headliner challenge-metal-tab-clips-3.jpg   68 headliner challenge-headliner-flange-pic_2.jpg   68 headliner challenge-front-windshield-pic_2.jpg  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

We were able to get these items from a drag car. The clips are extremely hard to remove but we were able to remove most of them without destorying them. The metal flanges, clips, and the small center bow came from this drag car.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 68RSSScamaro
We were able to get these items from a drag car. The clips are extremely hard to remove but we were able to remove most of them without destorying them. The metal flanges, clips, and the small center bow came from this drag car.

Thanks, at least I now know that someone understands what I am trying to describe and find, as none of the online parts retailers or the few resto books I've consulted make mention of these items or sell them.

Their idea of installing the headliner is just to use the plastic trim pieces that they sell, but for the life of me, I can't figure how those would possibly work without the metal flanges.

Anyone else out there install a new headliner?
How did you accomplish it? With or without the aforementioned metal flanges?
Thanks again....
-Robert

Old 03-06-2023, 07:56 PM

Robert,
Did you ever find a solution to installing the plastic moulding?