68 camaro help - is it a SS ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:42 AM
Default 68 camaro help - is it a SS ?

Hey guys,

Ive been offered with this 68 which the owner claims to be a SS.

The car looks terrible all around. Interior is good though. Cowl tag says it was white with black vinyl top.

Im confused about it being a SS. The engine TAG reads V0303MU which indicates its a 350/295HP L48 engine.
That engine was indeed a SS engine, butbesides that there no other signs of SS.., the hood is standard, steering wheel does not have the SS emblem on it. Just the SS gas cap.

There's no tachometer, though Im not sure that was a SS option.

Are there any other things I should check to be sure ?

Im posting some pics.

Thanks a lot for any help.
Diego

[IMG]local://upfiles/13854/0F1BBBB9B6134ED2BF18057ECEE0994D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13854/EE428922FE0F41CCAD8952C5CA90577B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-13-2008, 08:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Engine and VIN?

If the owner claims it is an SS, then I'd ask him to prove it.

Do the numbers on the engine match the VIN? If so, then it is an SS. If not, then I'd be suspicious. Also, is the rear end a 12-bolt or 10-bolt? I believe all SS's had a 12-bolt rear end with multi-leaf springs. Also, look under the driver side door for the proportioning valve for the brakes. If its there, then it's likely it could be an SS. Also, does the VIN begin 124... If so, then it was a V8 car. If the VIN begins 123..., then it was a 6 cylinder and someone dropped a 350 in it.That's about all I can think of right now.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Engine and VIN?

Since the engine has the MU code, you can presume it is an SS car. [as long as the VIN matches]. 1968 didn't have any special markings or codes on the body to distinguish an SS car from any other models. The tic-toc-tac was an option, even on SS models. So, as long as you have a numbers matching engine (that proves it to be an SS), you can put all the SS badging on the car and have a legitimate (and desirable) SS car. Go to the website below , it will help explain to you.

http://www.camaros.org/diffs68.shtml

Old 08-02-2008, 10:36 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Engine and VIN?

i was wondering the same thing on my car so i just took the vin off of it searched camaro vin numbers on google and found a place to enter it and it and wall lah, i just had a coupe. that might be an easy way to go, but id definatley ask the guy to prove it, if nothing else it could make for a good laugh as he scrambles around showing you his gas cap haha