'67 suspension rebuild using new technology

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 01:29 AM
Default '67 suspension rebuild using new technology

I want to rebuild my suspension on my '67 Camaro and was thinking of using the Global West and/or Hotchkis packages, however those kits are basically the same kits that have been around for 20+ years. I already have a "TVS-like" kit in my coupe now--heavy stiff springs, beefy sway bars, and re-doing this without looking at more modern technology seems like (another) waste of money.
So--has anyone tried the newer items such as advertised in Savitske Classic & Custom site? The tall (or standard) AXS spindles, the adjustable upper control arms, lower control arms with greasable bushings, or the rear 4-link set-up with QA-1 coil-overs? Bottom line is that the magazines always tout the virtues of GW & Hotchkis systems, but these are 1970s technology are I believe they are bias towards vendors who give them lots of money in advertising! An example is I just bought a Chevy magazine where they had an article with a '67 (or 68?) Camaro with a Hotchkis suspension in it and they claim it out performed a SS '10 Camaro--wholly ridiculous! Mike

Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I agree with you completely, its all about money,who you know and who you blow, Hotchkins is a good company but using there stuff your camaro wont feel that much better then if you were to keep the stock sespension,if you want your 67/69 camaro to come to life dont waist your money with old shcool tech, unless you like too keep it old school
Here's what me and my son did to his 68, TCI four link,nine inch ford,14" disk brakes, front TCI subframe with all the goodies.
I have a C5 vette and he can stay next to me in every way and i mean right next to me
Good Luck
Name:  CONNOLLYHOUSE012.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  153.3 KB

Name:  CAMARO7.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  55.2 KB
Name:  CAMARO5.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  83.7 KB

Last edited by grpaic; 02-20-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-20-2011, 04:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZdYyxJnMcY]width=425

I personally like this New Technology.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RgrMatt
I want to rebuild my suspension on my '67 Camaro and was thinking of using the Global West and/or Hotchkis packages, however those kits are basically the same kits that have been around for 20+ years. I already have a "TVS-like" kit in my coupe now--heavy stiff springs, beefy sway bars, and re-doing this without looking at more modern technology seems like (another) waste of money.
So--has anyone tried the newer items such as advertised in Savitske Classic & Custom site? The tall (or standard) AXS spindles, the adjustable upper control arms, lower control arms with greasable bushings, or the rear 4-link set-up with QA-1 coil-overs? Bottom line is that the magazines always tout the virtues of GW & Hotchkis systems, but these are 1970s technology are I believe they are bias towards vendors who give them lots of money in advertising! An example is I just bought a Chevy magazine where they had an article with a '67 (or 68?) Camaro with a Hotchkis suspension in it and they claim it out performed a SS '10 Camaro--wholly ridiculous! Mike
RGRMatt,
If you’re referring to the article in Super Chevy on Carl Casanova’s ’68 Camaro, the car's performance surprised everyone at Super Chevy. The magazines may try to support their advertisers, but we know those guys well, and if a product is no good, they'll say so! That's why we spend so much time at the track testing and improving our parts.

Carl’s car proves that you don’t have to reinvent the wheel in order to get a car to handle well. The tried and true first gen Camaro parts that have been tweaked over the last 40 years really work. A Hotchkis TVS is not simply "heavy, stiff" copies of the original parts, although many aftermarket companies do exactly that. At Hotchkis, we design spring rates using contemporary engineering programs, and each piece goes through multiple prototype stages before we make it available to the public.

That means that for every Hotchkis component, we've tried several versions on several different vehicles and all have been taken to the track and driven on the street. Our long term test cars have over 10,000 real world miles on them, and if we find a better shock package or a superior arm angle, you can bet we'll make changes to the product line.

Super Chevy is not the only magazine where our products have met with good reviews.
Super Chevy ’68 Camaro (Article Link)

Car Craft Valiant (Article Link)

Hot Rod ’79 Camaro (Article Link)

Road & Track ‘11 Camaro (Article Link)

Truckin Magazine ’67 Truck (Article Link)

As much as we'd like to, we don't advertise in all these magazines, and yet they still are getting good results in their testing.

There may be flashier options out there, and we understand the draw of going "high tech", but at the end of the day, are those companies at the track supporting their customers?
Run To The Coast: FaceBook Link

Old 03-20-2011, 02:49 AM

I have a question of my own but I figured I should ask here instead of making a new post, are those Mono to Multi-leaf spring kits a waste of money then? Cause I read that the 67's don't accelerate properly because of the mono-leaf springs.
Also I'm just learning how to work on cars so that TCI is definitely a project that I won't be able to handle at the moment. Basically what I want to know is if I'd get my money's worth for a mono to multi-leaf spring kit and if it's an easy enough project that won't be too difficult for a beginner to handle.