67 RS in too deep?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Default 67 RS in too deep?

Hi everyone I'm new to this

I have had my 67 RS rag top for the past 10 years and had body & paint done (lousy jobs) by two different body shops.
At the same time the 327 was redone with mild cam and 202 heads.It then went into storage and other than starting it up once in a while it has less than 2K miles put on it since. Two years ago I decided it was time for a rebirth and did a major tear down.Not something that needed to be done just seemed like a good idea at the time.
I after much soul searching I purchased all new body panels,doors,floors,trunk ,top and interior(not much left of the old gal) I injured my back shortly after and this project may never be finished. I have managed to putter and have run into a problem that is nagging me.
How to weld the lower section of the rear quarterpanels to the tail panel there is no way I can see to attach without welding down the seam and after spending all this money on new sheet metal I don't want to compromise.
Any suggestion, other than shelving this or dumping it on the next owner.
Camaro in a box anyone?

Bill

Old 04-10-2009, 05:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, i haven't had any actual experience welding in new quarters (but am I-Car certified to do it). If you get enough penetration you should be able to grind it down still be good. I did weld in a new piece to an old 40's Ford and did that, welded it up like that and grinded it down and it worked fine.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

First off no one can explain how to reattach a quarter pannel correctly in a post. I have seen post 15 plus pages long just talking about which welder to use and the right settings.

Based on the history you gave and the question you asked you really do not know what you are getting into. You need to put the project on hold till you learn. You should learn so you can make an educated decision on how to proceed. Many professional welders do not know the proper process for reattaching body pannels. The correct tools and equipment alone will cost more the all your body pannels cost plus some.

The other question that no one can answer but you is how will you back hold up. To install a quater properly a non pro can spend 5-8 hours fitting the pannel and another 6 hours just welding it in. If you do not have a lift this will be bent over and laying down. I have one crushed disk and two that have damage and 12 hours of that type of work would take me 3 weekends.

Where to start? The below videos should give you a good idea what you are getting into. For me, I used to work in a body shop as a helper (AKA rust grinder) while I was in school, I have spent 100's of hour researching sheet metal work I even bought an old rusted out truck to practice on, the first repairs I did I still warped the pannels.

General Pannel replacement(I do like the whole paintucation video seires)
http://smartflix.com/store/video/565...el-Replacement

Camaro Rag to Project. They go over what is differenet when doing a gen 1 convertible.
http://v8tvshow.com/component/page,s...art/Itemid,61/

My Truck build thread, It is on hold till I finish my 96 Camaro.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=Gorn&page=2

Last edited by Gorn; 04-10-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Smile 67 RS in too deep?

thanks for the response guys I will take all into consideration.
Went to a couple of body shops to see if they could help but they hadn't run into this problem. Well I went back to my man cave and started going over all the old bits and pieces (luckily I kept everything) and it seems that there is no spot welds on the lower vertical seam between the lower body panel and the quarter, it looks like the inner drop off is what holds the quarter snug to the rear body panel. I will try and keep this up to date as the project goes along. I guess I needed a bit of incentive to get me motivated again.