67 rear frame rail help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Default 67 rear frame rail help

ok here goes,I have a 67 that had new frame rails put on it before i bought it and i'm in the process of putting on new(aftermarket)quarters.The problem i'm having is lining up the taillight panel with the quarter.I have to really have to pull up on the quarter(i mean REALLY have to pull)to line them up.I'm not sure if this is normal but i would guess not.So i'm thinking the rails weren't put on right to where thier sitting to high in the rear.If someone can take a measurement of the frame rail bye the door from the ground up and another measurement at the rear part of rail where the leaf spring mounts it would be a HUGH help.Unles it's normal to have to pull up on the quarter i would greatly appreciate any info you can offer me.Thanks

Old 11-03-2009, 11:59 AM

So you need a measurement from the bottom of the frame rail at the door (front?) to the ground and another from the front or rear mount of the leaf spring? I can m,eas mine if you specify. I have a stock suspension on a stock car. But I have also had both rear qtrs and the tail panel replaced.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM

what i need is the measurement by the door where the frame is level (just in front of where leaf spring mounts) and the measurement where the rear part of leaf is.thanks

Old 11-03-2009, 12:13 PM

I'll make a note to measure these when I get home tonight.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Fitting after market quarter is never a put in place and done job. It’s not uncommon to cut the quarter and add material in. Pound and tweaking is always needed. This is why OEM quarters will sell for twice what aftermarket will. For most body shops paying twice as much for the parts and 1/3 of the labor actually saves money. Your frame rails could be fine.

For me finish someone else project would be pretty scary. On a car that needed a tail pan and quarters I would set the trunk and doors how I wanted them to the existing quarters then do one quarter tac it in place, then the tail pan, tac it in place and finally the last quarter the whole time lining to the doors and trunk. If someone handed me a pile of parts I guess I would need an original car to take measurements off of. There is so much possible variation in the sheet metal. That factory used jigs to get them right.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Here is a factory frame layout for 68 camaro . Gorn is right about aftermarket sheet metal , It takes alot more time to install , alot of fitting ,cutting and welding. Make sure you line up bottom of doors first to rocker panel , and doors front to back and go from there with fitting quarter panels.

Attached Thumbnails 67 rear frame rail help-1968-camaro-bodyframechart.jpg  
Old 11-03-2009, 06:52 PM

OK, here are my measurements taken off the car in my avatar:
Ground to sub-frame bottom = 5.75 inch (under door)
Ground to front leaf spring mount = 8.75 (front of rear tire)
hope it helps, but comments above also relevant. The body shop that did my car preferred Good Mark panels FWIW... good luck!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:50 AM

thanks for all the info.I think the diagram will be very helpful.thanks for going out of your way for the measurements bgss350.I'll let you know how i make out.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:10 PM

Hey There ue333,

Got your pm and just took these:

From ground to bottom of rear leaf at rear mount = 16" (lowest point of the rear of leaf spring)

ground to bottom of "frame rail" that the rear leaf mounts into = 18.5"

ground to middle of upper mounting bolt of rear leaf = 19 7/8"

All meas taken at tail light location of the rear leaf spring.

No problem on getting these for you. I joined the forum to help and get help too. I learned alot on the gto forums and want to do the same with the Camaro.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:33 PM

Looks like my measurements are higher than mcmcmahons attachment.
I'm 18.5 inches to the bottom of rear rail to 15.75 inches (dwg), thats 2 3/4 in
and 19 7/8 to the top shackle bolt center to 17.5 (dwg), 2 3/8 higher.
Car has stock rallys with radials, I thought they would sit lower than the orig bias ply tires. I also have the spare and the jack out of the car. The springs have 2 years and less than 1000 miles on them. Don't think that would add up to 2.5 inches...

Quick Reply: 67 rear frame rail help